Search results

1. R

Wooden screen door situation

I recently got a screen door at Home Depot. It was wood and made by Screen Tight. I measured and did my trimming and fitted the hinges and had to add an inch at the bottom because of the door sill design. Okay, I was going to paint it and notice some little dots on the horizontal divider...
  2. R

FWW comment

As many of you know, Klingspor's has a box of free magazines by their entrance. I recently picked up a FWW from 2019 and read through it. Different from when I subscribed in the past. On a further visit I picked up some FWW from 2010. I was surprised to find an article on getting a board out...
  3. R

Question about Waterlox

I have used Waterlox for years on furniture and bowls. I had to buy another can recently and needed to decide which kind to get. In the past I had used the Marine finish and was pleased with the results. Since I hadn't used any in awhile I went to the Waterlox site and read up on their...
  4. R

Too many chisels

Looking through my tool cabinet, I was struck by the number of chisels I have. Unlike clamps, I believe I have too many chisels. The majority of them are Japanese which I got over the course of many years. Back in the '80s there was a lot of interest in Japanese woodworking and I jumped into...
  5. R

Question for the turners

I was wondering if turners still do smaller items like pens and bottle stoppers. Seems like most of the turnings talked about are segmental or vessels. I am curious since I have a fairly large amount of holly that is of a size for smaller projects on the lathe. I was thinking to donate the...
  6. R

Shout out for Bloxygen

I was using a can of Bloxygen and it wasn't working. I had used it 29 times and was upset that I had a quart of Waterlox that needed something to keep it from setting up in the can. I e-mailed the company and received a response that day. They said the can probably had a faulty valve and they...
  7. R

Sharpening chainsaw

Does anybody have a recommendation for someone in the Cary Apex area who sharpens chainsaw chains? Roy G
  8. R

Wood for turning

A few days ago there was a post about wood suitable for turning which I can't seem to find. One of the responses came from Mike Davis saying he could use some 2" and 3" stuff. I looked through my shed and found I had quite a few pieces of black walnut. Minimum thickness was 1 1/2" and it went...
  9. R

Plywood question

I was wondering about plywood and thought there must be some reason Baltic Birch plywood has 13 plys and the big box plywood has 5. i know there is some economy involved but are they both the same in carrying loads? I used to buy only BB but it's gotten expensive. The big box store plywood...
  10. R

Wood for sale

Cleaning out the shed and have some wood that may be of interest. Honduras Mahogany 2 1/2"x7 1/2"x 96" $60 SOLD Wenge 1/2"x 8 1/4"x 13" $7 SOLD Jatoba 2"x5 1/2"x20" $7 Cocobolo 1 1/4"x5 1/2"x26" $35 Teak 1"x7"x66 3/4" $40 Cocobolo 2 1/2" diax10" $35 All the prices are based on half of...
  11. R

Hinge pin for door

I had to replace a lockset on my daughter's door and in doing so had to remove the door from the hinges. Not the usual procedure. Anyway, the door had three hinges but only two of them had hinge pins. Is there anywhere that I could get a single hinge pin? Roy G
  12. R

Question about teak wood

Starting a project and needed to go through the wood pile to get sufficient wood. Found several pieces that would work and set them aside. I was looking for cherry and had a bunch of pieces that were about 7" wide and 8' long except one was 5' long. Upon closer looking I found the shorter...
  13. R

Posting photos

I posted a for sale ad and wanted to add some photos. How do I do this? I tried to drag and drop like Craigs List and nothing happened. I'm missing a step somewhere. Roy G
  14. R

Oliver 51-B parts

I am parting out an Oliver 51-B lathe because the headstock is beyond repair. This is a 12" lathe which has the same bed and banjo and tailstock as the other Olivers like the 159. This lathe has a bed 7' long and the legs have levelling feet. The banjo has had the locking lever repaired and...
  15. R

ISO Oliver 159/2159 owners

Throwing out a request for any owners of the Oliver 12" lathes to see if they have any interest in a lathe I am parting out. Due to several problems with the headstock, I don't think the lathe is usable but the various parts are certainly desirable. This would be the banjo and tool rest...
  16. R

Fitter's vise

Okay, many years ago I was wandering in Northern Tools and found a Record Fitter's Vise sitting on a shelf. This is a machine vise with a trigger like the Record woodworking vises. Being smitten with gadgetry, naturally I bought it. I have never used it, but always thought it would come in...
  17. R

Question about an eggbeater hand drill

I have a Stanley Yankee No. 1530AX hand drill. It tends to skip when I drill with it so I thought I would try to tighten up the handle gear. I turned the axial screw but nothing happened. The way the drill is made the screw goes into the frame but the mechanism is in the way of seeing how...
  18. R

Waste blocks

I have a habit of ending up with short pieces of wood when I trim a board for a project. I got in the practice of making waste blocks if the piece of scrap was at least 3" long, so I could make a 3" diameter waste block. Before chucks got prevalent, these would be glued to the piece to be...
  19. R

Pine Beam for sale

Starting to clean out the surplus wood. I have a pine beam that is 9 1/2" wide, 3" thick and 89" long. I have had it over 30 years and I think I'll never do anything with it. It would make a mantel or could be used in a Roubo bench or legs for another style bench. It does have some nails in...
  20. R

Staples Crystal Clear Wax

Many years ago, I read an article in FWW where a turner was talking about using paste wax to seal up his rough turned bowls for drying purposes. So I bought some wax, probably Johnson's and used it. Then one of the home improvement stores closed up and I got a lot of the Staples wax at a good...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors