Question for the turners

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
I was wondering if turners still do smaller items like pens and bottle stoppers. Seems like most of the turnings talked about are segmental or vessels. I am curious since I have a fairly large amount of holly that is of a size for smaller projects on the lathe. I was thinking to donate the holly for a raffle prize at the picnic coming up, but don't want to waste anybody's chance on something that is not useful. If holly in the 1 1/2" square size by 6" is not any good, let me know. Also some bigger pieces but not anything big enough for a bowl.

Roy G

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
From my limited experience I can say that size is perfect for pen blanks, bottle stoppers, and even pizza cutters and such. Raffle prizes would be an excellent use for them.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Thank you Roy,
Someone will appreciate your donation.

HITCH-

Hitch
Corporate Member
In addition to the above suggestions it could be used for segmented turning. Holy is almost white so it makes a nice contrast next to a dark or black wood.

JRedding

John
Corporate Member
I love holly in segmented turnings and am trying to find a couple good boards now. It’s a lot harder to find without the grey or blue tint than it seems like it should be.

SabertoothBunny

SabertoothBunny
Corporate Member
I want that holly, all of it potentially. Sending a PM as that wood is great for turning and it is probably the lightest/whitest wood for turning available.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS