Search results

1. windknot

Tormek Grinding Wheel Change

I have a Tormek T-8 and am thinking about the diamond wheel also. What did you end up doing? If you did buy one which grit and is it that much better than the stock stone?
  2. windknot

Looking to start a local wood turning group

I would be interested in the Nash, Edgecombe, Pitt County area
  3. windknot

Powermatic Table Saw Casters

Unfortunately it is. I believe it was your post I saw from 2016. The red urethane wheels completely crumbled
  4. windknot

Powermatic Table Saw Casters

I saw a thread that was several years old regarding problems with the casters on Powermatic table saws. I have a 2000B Powermatic and the urethane casters have completely disintegrated. PM wants $40/caster on their website so $160 + shipping. The saw is extremely heavy and I see no way to...
  5. windknot

Best Finish for Birch Butcherblock Table

I am thinking about buying one of the pre-made birch butcherblock slabs at Lowes for a table at our house Down East. What finish would be best on something like this to protect from water rings etc...
  6. windknot

Mortiser

Sent you an email Phil
  7. windknot

Mortiser

Looks in good shape Phil. Are you satisfied with the movement on the XY table? Whats your schedule like this week?
  8. windknot

Mortiser

Can you send me a few pics? windknotnc@gmail.com
  9. windknot

Mortiser

I am in the market for a mortising machine. I see a couple Jets on CL but before I go that route thought I would check in with everyone to see if anyone has one they are wanting to get rid of or has a recommendation on which machine I should be looking at.
  10. windknot

Lathe Recommendation

I have just seen the new Laguna Revo 1216. It is right much smaller than the Rikon 70-220VSR. Has anyone heard if it will be on sale. Has anyone seen it yet?
  11. windknot

Lathe Recommendation

I saw the Rikon 70-220VSR on sale at Highland for $599. during their Black Friday sale. I should have bought it. It is now $749.
  12. windknot

Lathe Recommendation

Thanks Stuart. I saw that online but am going to the NC State -ECU game tomorrow. I will try to make the next meeting
  13. windknot

Lathe Recommendation

I am looking at purchasing a mini or midi lathe but not sure what to buy. I have read all the online reviews and nearly all of them have a different top choice. I am an experienced woodworker but have not turned in 30 yrs so taking the Woodcraft 101 class is probably in the cards. I don't...
  14. windknot

starting a guild in Eastern NC

I may be able to make it. Keep the info emails coming. I am in Tarboro
  15. windknot

Animated Gif Avatars

Ken, I know you were not talking about mine but I had to give a Wolfpack plug. Those little jumping heads are pretty annoying
  16. windknot

Animated Gif Avatars

Ken, I take it you are not a NC State fan
  17. windknot

What is "Heart Pine"?

Hardness is a factor of resin content and rate of growth. Is new yellow pine as hard as old stuff? Probably too many variables to make a rule of thumb. Southern Yellow Pine is a generic name that includes longleaf, loblolly and a couple other minor subspecies of pines that grow mostly in...
  18. windknot

Market price for winter propane rising

I had my 100# cylinder filled today. Last fill up was $65. Today was $80. and the price increase of .30 gallon from yesterday was not included. That is a 23% increase over the last 45 days. I wish I could find a way to get a 23% raise
  19. windknot

What is "Heart Pine"?

Lots of pine used in the 30's-early 60's was just pine saw logs. It was probably flat sawn to yield the greatest amount of board footage for framing. When that flat grained stuff gets really dry it is very hard. If it was center cut pieces it probably had some heart also. That old pine is...
  20. windknot

What is "Heart Pine"?

I have played with heart pine for 30 yrs and you have a legitimate question as there are many terms, qualities, and sources. First, and probably most simply heart pine is the wood from the heart/center of a longleaf or loblolly pine. It is usually distinguishable by color, hardness, and smell...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS