What is "Heart Pine"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Endless Pursuit

New User
Jeff
Pardon my ignorance but I've read several threads that mention heart pine. A brief search has me even more confused. Is it a species, old stuff, a specific cut or something less complicated?

I've been playing in the sawdust pile since I was 12, I read a lot of magazines and online stuff and don't recall ever hearing the name or term before but I've seen it referenced here numerous times.

Thanks in advance.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
My understanding (FWIW) is that "heart pine" is a colloquial name with no standardized definition.

That said, I think it often refers to old-growth pine, mostly longleaf, but can be other species as well where a large majority of wood is heartwood.

But a buyer would be wise to verify specifications with the seller before whipping out a checkbook...

Very much like "pumpkin pine".

-Mark

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
I can't offer anything authoritative but my old house ( built 1905 or before) in PA had heart pine floors.
or so I was told by a builder friend after I had refinished them.
They were quite hard, I'd say harder than most oak floors I see today, including the ones I put in my current house a few years back.
Also very nice color, lots of rich warm golds, oranges and reds.
Not the pale white wood look at all.

My friend called them southern long leaf heart pine, so that's what I've always thought them to be.
just word of mouth

T

tmwassack

Pardon my ignorance but I've read several threads that mention heart pine. A brief search has me even more confused. Is it a species, old stuff, a specific cut or something less complicated?

I've been playing in the sawdust pile since I was 12, I read a lot of magazines and online stuff and don't recall ever hearing the name or term before but I've seen it referenced here numerous times.

Thanks in advance.

Greetings from Asheboro!
Here is a good read on heart pine...http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_base/What_is_heart_pine.html

Regards,
Tom Wassack

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
I can't add anything technical beyond the link given above, and agree with with previous posters.

Just as an example, here is a picture of a table top I was working on. The colors don't come out particularly well here. The reds, oranges, and golds were quite unlike anything I had seen or used before. Since the customer was always right I stained it (gasp!). And yes turpentine smells abound when working the wood.

Henry

DPP_00062.JPG

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
I use the term "heart pine" to refer to old growth, tight grained, darker colored pine. About the only way to find it today is recycled lumber from an old structure. The link Tom Wassack posted is an excellent read and a good general description.

Howard Acheson

New User
Howard
>>>> I use the term "heart pine" to refer to old growth, tight grained, darker colored pine

You are correct. The only thing I would add is that it is a long leaf pine. It's harder than standard pines and the boards are cut from near the center of the tree.

windknot

Scott
Senior User
I have played with heart pine for 30 yrs and you have a legitimate question as there are many terms, qualities, and sources. First, and probably most simply heart pine is the wood from the heart/center of a longleaf or loblolly pine. It is usually distinguishable by color, hardness, and smell. There are other terms that become associated with heart pine such as "virgin growth, old growth, resawn, and antique" All of these are heart pine but sourced differently. There is very little virgin grown pine in existence and those trees are very protected. There is still a fair amount of old growth around. It is usually identified by large diameter trees with very slick bark. These trees are the origin of most resawn and antique pine. Most of the warehouse beams being resawn are from old growth trees cut over 100 yrs ago. On occasion you come across a very old home with sawn virgin timbers and flooring but most of these houses have been restored/protected or torn down and resold. Many of the old Federal Style homes on the East Coast fit this category. So back to the wood. The biggest difference in quality of heart pine is resin content and tightness of grain. Since most of the old flooring, siding and milled lumber was quarter sawn tight edge grain is always the tell tale identifier of quality heart pine. Every now and then local sawyers come across large pine logs with a decent 12-18" of heart. They quarter saw and kiln dry it then call those customers that are always asking for it. Sadly the grain and color on these newer logs is nothing like what came out of the old growth stuff. It is good heart and makes a pretty floor, cabinets, and furniture but it does not have the richness of color and tight grain as is mostly desired.

thsb

New User
Tim
The building we bought 8 years ago had a little bit of wood construction in it and was built in the early 1960s. I know it wasn't heart pine but there were 4*6 beams and 2*8s in there that were definitely pine but were so hard you couldn't screw into them. it didn't have the tight grain or at least not like most quarter sawn stuff i have seen. what kind of wood was that likely to be?

windknot

Scott
Senior User
Lots of pine used in the 30's-early 60's was just pine saw logs. It was probably flat sawn to yield the greatest amount of board footage for framing. When that flat grained stuff gets really dry it is very hard. If it was center cut pieces it probably had some heart also. That old pine is very stable and is a great material for drawer sides, cabinet supports and if pretty even stiles and rails. I am not a pine snob. I am an opportunistic user of what is available. If you come across any knotty pine paneling boards that are 3/4" thick, they are an awesome material and quite pretty.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
The building we bought 8 years ago had a little bit of wood construction in it and was built in the early 1960s. I know it wasn't heart pine but there were 4*6 beams and 2*8s in there that were definitely pine but were so hard you couldn't screw into them. it didn't have the tight grain or at least not like most quarter sawn stuff i have seen. what kind of wood was that likely to be?
Based on the limited info provided (it's pine and its hard), I'd hazard the guess that you likely have Southern Yellow Pine. Its heavy and hard for a softwood - and abundant here in the South.

-Mark

Jeff

New User
Jeff

Probably Southern yellow pine. Dense, durable, and about as hard as steel!

windknot

Scott
Senior User
Hardness is a factor of resin content and rate of growth. Is new yellow pine as hard as old stuff? Probably too many variables to make a rule of thumb. Southern Yellow Pine is a generic name that includes longleaf, loblolly and a couple other minor subspecies of pines that grow mostly in southern US. I think there are some hybrids also but I am not a botanist/forester so that is best left to someone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS