Search results

1. bphaynes

(Where can I find) Kitchen doors / Drawer fronts

I believe they are 14 by 28 or around there. Square raised panel (cove) with standard inside edge and a B2 round over for the outside edge.
  2. bphaynes

(Where can I find) Kitchen doors / Drawer fronts

I bought 8 raised panel doors from Steve Wall about a month ago for the built ins I made in the living room. Soft maple, finish sanded, but not primed. I've sprayed primer on them and I'm waiting for it to warm up to spray them outside with BM Advance. The doors were around $55 per door for the...
  3. bphaynes

Good YouTubers to follow?

Jon Peters
  4. bphaynes

Makita corded track saw - considering selling

I'd like a track saw and used would be cheaper, but for $300-400 I'd probably be inclined to buy new. Would cordless be significantly better? I guess using it anywhere outside my shop would be a big advantage. I have mostly Makita battery tools so I already have plenty of batteries.
  5. bphaynes

New toy

Ah, I see what you mean. The home version is accurate to within 25 g, which would probably be plenty for me. Just doesn't have the aluminum part.
  6. bphaynes

New toy

What do you mean it doesn't hold the reading? If we could simply buy the test fixture and use our own scale, that might be worth it for me.
  7. bphaynes

Kitchen Cabinet Opinions

I just got a few raised panel doors (unfinished solid maple) custom made at Steve Wall for around $60 per door. I'm painting them myself for my built-ins I just finished. They also made dovetail drawer boxes. I would recommend thicker than 1/4 in especially since it's probably less than 1/4...
  8. bphaynes

Wood Identification

I managed to find some off cuts pre finish in case that helps. The 3rd and 4th pictures have a piece with end grain where I glued two boards together. You can see the sap wood clearly
  9. bphaynes

Wood Identification

Thanks guys. I guess there's really no way to know completely. I read that Jatoba can turn darker brown/red through aging and I think this wood was in my grandfather's shop for a few years. I don't think he usually handled much exotics like the ones mentioned here. I know he used a good bit of...
  10. bphaynes

Wood Identification

I just finished up a step stool for my brother and sister in law. The top two steps are from a piece of lumber I got from my grandfather earlier this year when he had to close down his shop. I don't think it was a fresh piece and probably sitting around for a number of years due to his decline...
  11. bphaynes

Finishing options for mahogany entry door?

I used Total Boat Gleam Spar Varnish on the Sapele front door I finished and installed last year at my house and I have really liked it so far.
  12. bphaynes

Planting Grass

Fall
  13. bphaynes

Planting Grass

First of all, I would recommend a high quality grass seed that contains 0% weeds and 0% other crop seed. You want as close to 100% grass seed. Good options for us in NC are Triple Threat from Southern Seed or GCI Turf grass seed. You can prepare the bare spots by using a hand tool like a garden...
  14. bphaynes

New Entry Door…solid wood core or engineered core?

I followed the directions and did 4 coats of gloss and then 2 coats of stain sanding in between each coat. I might have done 3 coats of satin not sure. I think Jon Peters has a good youtube video showing how to apply it. I had the door horizontal on some sawbucks and used a foam roller. Leveled...
  15. bphaynes

Much of it depends on exposure. If your house faces north and has limited sun/rain exposure and you use a quality exterior varnish, then you should be able to scuff sand and recoat every few years. I'm hoping to get at least 3 years until I have to recoat, but I might do another coat next year...
  16. bphaynes

David, I was able to purchase the door through a local building supplier in Winston-Salem, Talbert Building Supply. You can check locally to you to see if any carries Reeb and they should have a catalog if they do.
  17. bphaynes

I purchased a Reeb Nantucket door last year and I have been very pleased with it so far, but it's been less than one year so I can't really give a thorough review yet. It's their highest quality door that is made with two 7/8ths in solid sapele rails and stiles glued together. Where the rails...
  18. bphaynes

Today’s counter top glue-up

Cherry? What are you going to use for finish?
  19. bphaynes

Glad I am happy with it

I'd be interested in the top coat paint as well. I've been using BM Advance on my newly installed trim and I like it, but haven't sprayed it yet until I finish my built ins.
  20. bphaynes

Vanity in progress (updated)

Inset doors/drawers or overlay? I've tried inset and they can be tricky

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS