Wood Identification

bphaynes

Parker
Corporate Member
I just finished up a step stool for my brother and sister in law. The top two steps are from a piece of lumber I got from my grandfather earlier this year when he had to close down his shop. I don't think it was a fresh piece and probably sitting around for a number of years due to his decline and inability to do as many projects as he wanted. At first I thought it Brazilian Cherry (Jatoba) and I wanted to use it because my sister in law is from Brazil, but after putting the finish on I realize it's a lot more red than I thought. Now I'm wondering if this could be Bubinga or Padauk. I took a picture of the underside of the stool where you can see some sap wood that is a dull yellow color. It's fairly open grained, very dense and heavy and oily. I put four coats of General Finishes Arm-R-Seal on, which is a wiping varnish that does contain BLO, but no stain or dye. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_1474 Medium.jpeg
    IMG_1474 Medium.jpeg
    89.1 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_1475 Medium.jpeg
    IMG_1475 Medium.jpeg
    90.5 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_1476 Medium.jpeg
    IMG_1476 Medium.jpeg
    66.2 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_1477 Medium.jpeg
    IMG_1477 Medium.jpeg
    85.4 KB · Views: 129

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
If I had to render a guess it looks like Santos or possibly Robusta. Got the wrong grain for Paduk -to me

Could be Gonclavos alva (tigerwood), however it would have to have been stained to get it to look that way.

I included a pix the thin strip is Santos and the wider piece is Robusta but it is a crotch piece. Both are same hardness or harder than Hickory.
So, it it is really hard then, I would look down the wood path of similar hard/hard woods

Attachments

• 20231217_112306.jpg
    20231217_112306.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 51
  • 20231217_112315.jpg
    20231217_112315.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 52

Jobone

Joe Bone
Senior User
Could be Hormigo/Macacauba/Granadillo, which may be reddish.

Doesn’t look like Pau Rosa, Bubinga, Padauk, Pau Brazil or some rosewoods to me.

Photos of Hormigo

Attachments

• IMG_8185.jpeg
    IMG_8185.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 43
  • IMG_8186.jpeg
    IMG_8186.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 51
  • IMG_8187.jpeg
    IMG_8187.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 49

bphaynes

Parker
Corporate Member
Thanks guys. I guess there's really no way to know completely. I read that Jatoba can turn darker brown/red through aging and I think this wood was in my grandfather's shop for a few years. I don't think he usually handled much exotics like the ones mentioned here. I know he used a good bit of mahogany (not sure what species exactly) and what he called Brazilian Cherry. I might ask him and see if he has any idea.

JRedding

John
Corporate Member
Without unfinished end grain, it is hard to tell. I previously worked with Jatoba (Brazilian Cherry) a fair amount and it does have a wide variation in color - from tan to deep reddish/brown - that tends to a darker brown and can even start to look a little muddy depending on the starting color. It’s also very dense/heavy and dulls blades quickly. Not sure why, and hard to tell without a pic of unfinished end grain, but that doesn’t look like Jatoba to me. Let us know if you figure it out

bphaynes

Parker
Corporate Member
I managed to find some off cuts pre finish in case that helps. The 3rd and 4th pictures have a piece with end grain where I glued two boards together. You can see the sap wood clearly

Attachments

• IMG_1479 Large.jpeg
    IMG_1479 Large.jpeg
    305.1 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_1480 Large.jpeg
    IMG_1480 Large.jpeg
    272.7 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_1481 Large.jpeg
    IMG_1481 Large.jpeg
    273.2 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_1482 Large.jpeg
    IMG_1482 Large.jpeg