Search results

1. BKHam

Mortise chisel vs. Mortise machine vs. Mortise adpter for drill press

I think you can find benchtop hollow chisel mortisers on Craigslist for under $200 quite frequently.
  2. BKHam

Cherry Sale - Capital City Lumber

15/16 something QS, I think i can handle. however, in flat sawn cherry which in my past moves quite a bit, that's not thick enough. to be fair, i think 3/4 looks meager and I like a finished thickness of 7/8 most of the time. also, i've gotten case hardened wood from there and then 4/4 s2s is...
  3. BKHam

Cherry Sale - Capital City Lumber

what was actual thickness?
  4. BKHam

Dewalt Plunge Router DW616 complaints

i think its a little of both spring and mechanism.
  5. BKHam

I liked the PC locking mechanism better than the Dewalt.
  6. BKHam

maybe you are right, its a numbers game. but dang, I never had this with my PC.
  7. BKHam

The spring action in the plunge is so strong that the locking mechanism will sometimes un-engage and come flying back up. I've eaten into several templates this way. Its also just alarming to have this thing lunge out of the plunge back at you while still cutting. I sold all my old porter...
  8. BKHam

Tapered Recessed Drawer Face ?

I'm not imagining what you are doing perfectly but generally get it. as far as "your signature feature"....what do you mean by that? apply to all pieces you do? I follow Darrell Peart who does the G&G furniture. from a technique and design perspective, he is a great follow. his catalog is...
  9. BKHam

Couch Tray Structure Question

I would remove the cross brace under the table top because due to weight. your design will be top heavy. you can dowel for sure. see my version below which uses thru tenons but dowels woudl achieve the same thing.
  10. BKHam

Plywood or Veneer

while hammer veneering is an option, not a very good one for large scale projects. I think you might have an issue with applying the veneer unless you have a large vac bag or other type of press. the work associated wtih that might be prohibitive.
  11. BKHam

Match Fit Dovetail Clamps

I love them. I use them a ton. the clamps themselves are my favorite small clamp. The small, single point of contact is perfect for getting pressure in a very specific area. I have bought some amazon knockoffs (couldn't find the exact ones). they were like $15 apiece instead of $25 or 30. I had...
  12. BKHam

Scroll saw $50 (SOLD)

this was sold to Pete
  13. BKHam

Scroll saw $50 (SOLD)

https://raleigh.craigslist.org/tls/d/wake-forest-scroll-saw-hand-plane/7696371209.html plane was sold. Scroll saw still available.
  14. BKHam

New Member From Wake Forest

I live wake forest by the reservoir. I can't really make you smarter like Mike but i'm close. I'd be glad to host you for a little shop tour. we can call the course....how to stuff a bunch of stuff into a suburban garage and still have room for your wife's car.
  15. BKHam

Haven't posted in a while: new project - small wall cabinet

final pictures. View of the "cracked ice" back panel. It was QS maple core with scrap veneer as the balance veneer on the back. the bathroom is low light and small so having a piece that is a bit wild in figure and experimental in design seemed okay. I wanted to do a project with solid core...
  16. BKHam

Haven't posted in a while: new project - small wall cabinet

I have a small unfinished wall cabinet in pine my master bathroom that no one sees. It was a experimental in a couple ways: >it was my first attempt at mitered dovetails (maybe my only attempt come to think of it) >I created a veneered back panel which i thought was very clean >it was pine, i...
  17. BKHam

Plywood and Drum Sander

the dust would be especially terrible to breathe but go for it.
  18. BKHam

Buying router bits

a good price here puts you in some gray area. >Are you wanting to buy another one after a couple projects or or no? >when using a flushing bit, how much waste are you leaving....i.e. how much stress, heat, and junk build up are you going to put on it? how you work will determine whether...
  19. BKHam

Lenox Band Saw Blades (from Band Saw Blades Direct)

consider me another lover of the bimetal. a little wider kerf but really good results. but....everything has a cost and they are expensive. does the bimetal last twice as long as two half price blades? eh maybe.
  20. BKHam

Straight edge for breadboard ends

do you have a shoulder plane? you could straighten that way. Also, remember this with breadboards.....if it looks right, it is right. I've had my underside shoulder but a little more relieved (small gap) just so the top side shoulder was dead tight.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS