Haven't posted in a while: new project - small wall cabinet

BKHam

Bradley
User
I have a small unfinished wall cabinet in pine my master bathroom that no one sees. It was a experimental in a couple ways:
>it was my first attempt at mitered dovetails (maybe my only attempt come to think of it)
>I created a veneered back panel which i thought was very clean
>it was pine, i never finished it, but planted a seed

I have a mixed relationship with curly maple. I love the idea. I want to follow methods for "popping the grain" and really accentuate the curl but I usually hate the look of any type of dye on the white areas of the curl. I've come to the conclusion that I like a penetrating oil or poly, sand it back and then finish with a semi gloss poly. Then wait and let UV and oxidation help with the contrast.

both of those intros lead me into this project. the details:
>solid wood core, quartersawn (or close to it) maple
>douglas fir shop sawn veneer on the interior
>curly maple show sawn veneer on the exterior
>back panel has some sort of non-traditional veneered back panel (google: cracked ice veneer tim coleman)
-also solid core quartersawn maple
>thru tenons made on my multi-router

cross section of the panels:
20230917_161703.jpg

first dry assembly
20230921_084127.jpg

unrelated pics of the wife's paper craft area that i've been slowly working on since covid lockdowns.
20230829_165818.jpg

20230906_162144.jpg

BKHam

Bradley
User
final pictures. View of the "cracked ice" back panel. It was QS maple core with scrap veneer as the balance veneer on the back.

the bathroom is low light and small so having a piece that is a bit wild in figure and experimental in design seemed okay. I wanted to do a project with solid core, thru tenons, and shop sawn veneer....that's what I ended up with. not sure I'd want a house full of this, or even a prominent piece in my living room.

the douglas fir interior and the maple exterior have more contrast than these pics show.

finish is hard wax oil and the wall attachment method is screws with a finish washer, right below the middle shelf. I mounted it where a person over about 5'6" won't see them

20231007_081454.jpg
20231017_095538.jpg

20231017_095602.jpg

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS