Sawstop - stil stopped

Status
Not open for further replies.

petebucy4638

Pete
Corporate Member
I just got off the phone with the tech at Sawstop. I explained that the saw was still not starting up with any regularity. He walked me through a couple of additional diagnostic steps with no success. Earlier in the day he was talking about sending a local repair tech to my home, but he had not had any luck. I explained that rather than me having to tear the saw apart and making the repair that I would rather just swap the broken saw out for a new one. He said that might be the best solution for both me and Sawstop. He said that it would be beneficial for Sawstop to get their hands on the saw and let them sort out the problem. He is going to staff the case with his superiors and get back with me tomorrow.

Pete

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
Pete, You may have already thought of and done this, but an informational courtesy call to Klingsors along with the specific facts may be warranted. Maybe not so much of a complaint.

Klingspor probably would like to know about the issues and they may have a way to follow up with SawStop.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
If the safety should fail, you can be sure they will have documentation that you serviced it yourself.
AT THEIR REQUEST, which puts them on the hook. If a car under warranty had the master cylinder fail, you can rest assured that GM, Ford, etc wouldn't send you one and tell you to fix it.

Wyatt Co.

New User
Bill
AT THEIR REQUEST, which puts them on the hook. If a car under warranty had the master cylinder fail, you can rest assured that GM, Ford, etc wouldn't send you one and tell you to fix it.

I was an automotive professional for 26 years. I've only EVER had but one car I couldn't fix and GM bought that car back from the lady that "owned it" because they couldn't fix it either.

GM spent thousands upon thousands of dollars in technician labor hours to fix this woman's problems.

This was in the mid 90's.

Today they tell you to "get bent".

GM nor Ford is going to send you nothing but a run around.

petebucy4638

Pete
Corporate Member
I talked with two of the guys who work the counter at Klingspor on Sunday. I called Coleman on Monday, but I have not heard back from him. Maybe he is on vacation. If Sawstop ends up swapping out the saw for a new one, I don't know if they will go through Klingspor or ship the old saw directly from my home and then ship the new saw to my home. We have not gotten that far yet.

Pete

Pete, You may have already thought of and done this, but an informational courtesy call to Klingsors along with the specific facts may be warranted. Maybe not so much of a complaint.

Klingspor probably would like to know about the issues and they may have a way to follow up with SawStop.

petebucy4638

Pete
Corporate Member
In today's economy, it is indeed strange for any manufacturer not to have local service centers or field repair techs. If Maytag, Samsung, and Bosch can afford to provide on-site warranty repairs for their $300 washing machines, dryers, and dishwashers, then Sawstop should be able to provide a similar service for its $3,000 saws.

Pete

petebucy4638

Pete
Corporate Member
A few years back I had a problem with the windshield wipers on Toyota truck. The would just randomly and intermittently fail. The dealership could not figure out what was causing the problem. It was in the shop for days at a time and it would not fail when they tested it. Finally it quit working while it was in the shop, but they could not get a diagnostic code to identify the problem. They were looking at the computer, the stalk on the steering column that switched the wipers on and off and the wiper motor. Finally they just rolled the dice and replaced the wiper motor. That was the problem, though they never figured out why it only worked intermittently.

Intermittent electrical problems are a dog to sort out. They often result in just replacing parts to see if they got lucky and found the bad part.

Pete

I was an automotive professional for 26 years. I've only EVER had but one car I couldn't fix and GM bought that car back from the lady that "owned it" because they couldn't fix it either.

GM spent thousands upon thousands of dollars in technician labor hours to fix this woman's problems.

This was in the mid 90's.

Today they tell you to "get bent".

GM nor Ford is going to send you nothing but a run around.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I would suggest the scale is probably different. How many Sawstops are sold compared to Bosch appliances? Although a sawstop is not cheap, I doubt there is a huge margin in them either. I don't have one, but I have looked at them, and overall they are a well built machine. Good quality through and through in my opinion. I don't like how the inventor rolled it out, but that is neither here nor there. It is a good product.

On site service and support for woodworking machinery IMO is pretty much non-existent. It seems you are responsible for any and all service on all statiionary machines..... The last new machine I bought was a hmmmm.... It has been a long time since I bought new.... I blame that on Dino..... It was my former DJ-20 jointer. It had some kind of issue and they sent me the part. If it were my washing machine, I would have demanded they come and fix it... Different worlds.....

Skymaster

New User
Jack
Just for comparision; I own a Jet shaper, had for many years. I bought it in Jersey, from my supplier, new but year old model for discounted price. Once in my shop and setting up discovered all kinds of issues, tons of internal rust etc. Called supplier NOT being a happy camper, told call Jet. I did just that. Here is how they handled it.

couple days later a truck pulls up to my shop, JET tech comes in, I explain, also he asks what I am doing with machine. Long,short; he spends 3 plus hours tearing machine apart, shockingly decides too much work, junk.He calls in, explains etc, 4 days later BIGGER truck appears, 2 guys come in grab machine,parts etc drag it all out, roll in a brand new model, apologize, explain the tech is on his way. He shows, cleans, checks eveything, etc, then again asks what i was setting up, i do and THEN he proceeds to setup the machine as it was before, checks out. Again apologizes for the inconvience. I paid 100 dollar difference for the new model. THAT is service

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I have worked on several SawStop table saws. They are fine saws...mechanically. The worst case was one that had run too heavy a dado set and bent the shaft when the trigger went off. The owner bought the needed replacement parts and I was reading up on installing when SawStop offered to send a tech to replace and tune the parts. I have never been so relieved. I was not looking forward to that job. The instructions they sent were very clear and understandable but some of the adjustments had me on edge.

Just reading about that made up my mind, I will never own one.

petebucy4638

Pete
Corporate Member
I talked to Mike at Klingspor today about the Sawstop problem. Then I received a call from the tech at Sawstop telling me that they are going to swap out the saw for a new one. The tech said that they are going to make certain that the replacement saw does not come from the same production run as the current saw.

Under the circumstances, I don't think that there was much more that Sawstop could learn from trying to diagnose the problem with the saw in my garage. While I am not looking forward to assembling a new saw, it is a small price to pay for getting a table saw that is reliable.

Pete

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
I talked to Mike at Klingspor today about the Sawstop problem. Then I received a call from the tech at Sawstop telling me that they are going to swap out the saw for a new one. The tech said that they are going to make certain that the replacement saw does not come from the same production run as the current saw.

Under the circumstances, I don't think that there was much more that Sawstop could learn from trying to diagnose the problem with the saw in my garage. While I am not looking forward to assembling a new saw, it is a small price to pay for getting a table saw that is reliable.

Pete

You have been "done wrong and what's more it ain't right" my friend. Thank you for posting. Sawstop has gone down on my list.

Like others here on this thread who have expressed sympathy with examples of other companies that stand behind the product and others that run from any issues, I am surprised that Sawstop is so "Mickey Mouse" on this one.

Hope you can get back on track and get some work done.

Newboy

George
User
They swapped it out for a new one. What more should they have done ... shoot the manager?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I missed the post from the OP. He's getting a new saw, but he was patient and courteous in his dealings with the SawStop folks so that's a big kudos to him. :eusa_clap

Geez George, it's like pulling teeth!

Who is they and what did they swap out for a new one?

The manager at Saw Stop or the manager at Klingspor?

They swapped it out for a new one. What more should they have done ... shoot the manager?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

Skymaster

New User
Jack
Since pete had to put together the original saw, the LEAST they should have done is replace old one AND setup the new one!!!!!!!!!

petebucy4638

Pete
Corporate Member
Sawstop authorized swapping out a new saw for the defective. Klingspor is going to supply the replacement saw and facilitate shipping the defective saw back to Sawstop.

I have no complaints about how Sawstop or Klingspor handled this situation.

Pete

I missed the post from the OP. He's getting a new saw, but he was patient and courteous in his dealings with the SawStop folks so that's a big kudos to him. :eusa_clap

Geez George, it's like pulling teeth!

Who is they and what did they swap out for a new one?

The manager at Saw Stop or the manager at Klingspor?

petebucy4638

Pete
Corporate Member
As much as setting up a new piece of shop equipment can consume my time, I actually don't mind doing it. When I was done setting up the first Sawstop, everything from the extension tables to the blade/miter slot alignment to the fence alignment were virtually perfect. Just assembling the saw only takes a couple of hours. Fine tuning it is what takes do much time. It's time to break out the dial indicators, clamps, 1-2-3 blocks, etc.. After setting up the first Sawstop saw, this one should go a bit quicker.

It will be great to have a functional cabinet saw again.

By the way, I heard that Sawstop is going to be selling a router table extension. I had Mike at Klingspor put me on the list to be called when it is available. My previous Grizzly cabinet saw had a router table extension. It was my favorite accessory for that saw.

Pete

Since pete had to put together the original saw, the LEAST they should have done is replace old one AND setup the new one!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS