Sawstop - stil stopped

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I would call them again and ask to speak with a supervisor in the Tech Service area; tell them the problem and how you expect them to fix it at your shop sooner rather than later. The fall back option would be sending you a replacement control module or new saw and the packaging to return ship the defective one. Be nice, with no threats of legal action, etc; they're human too and civility is paramount for success.

Matt Furjanic

Matt
Senior User
I am surprised. I have had my Sawstop pro for about four years. The one issue I had with the mobile base was immediately rectified by Sawstop sending me a replaceme t part immediately.
I am also surprised noone answered your question about using the saw in cold conditions. My saw stays outside in an unheated building. Never have I had a problem running it in sub-freezing conditions.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Personally, I would NOT want the owner to be working on safety devices. Who is to blame if later it fails to function? Just one such incident could wipe out Saw Stop, especially in states where juries tend to award EXTRA Large" settlements, which are then increased three fold.

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
Personally, I would NOT want the owner to be working on safety devices. Who is to blame if later it fails to function? Just one such incident could wipe out Saw Stop, especially in states where juries tend to award EXTRA Large" settlements, which are then increased three fold.
If the safety should fail, you can be sure they will have documentation that you serviced it yourself.

Skymaster

New User
Jack
berta YOU ARE RIGHT ON. no DISRESPECT HERE BUT, WHAT DOCUMENTATION IS THERE THAT SAWSTOP AUTHORIZED YOU TO TRY AND FIX A NEW SAW? NONE, regardless of the fact that you and tech support were working together, there is NO DOCUMENTATION that you were authorized to do so. Push comes to shove all they need do is claim you touched it, within their warranty period,therefore the warranty is hereby void.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Pete,
Possibly a REALLY dumb question about to come out of my computer... but you said you keep the shop around 45-55 degrees - with it so cold lately, do you know what the dew point is? could you possibly be in the transition point, where the saw is sensing moisture?

With that said, I would think that the SS guys would have encountered this MANY times already, so it is likely a dumb scenario, but I am just thinking out loud here.

Personally, I agree with Jeff;
"I would call them again and ask to speak with a supervisor in the Tech Service area; tell them the problem and how you expect them to fix it at your shop sooner rather than later. The fallback option would be sending you a replacement control module or new saw and the packaging to return ship the defective one. Be nice, with no threats of legal action, etc.; they're human too and civility is paramount for success.
Hopefully, this gets things resolved quickly.
While I would not expect them to send a service technician, across the country, I would think a company that is selling a premium product has a method of dealing with these kinds of issues in a potentially remote setting, and to add insult to injury, I don’t consider Denver NC a remote location being so close to two large cities in the south!

petebucy4638

Pete
Corporate Member
I spend a lot more time in court than the average guy and I deal with a lot of lawyers on a regular basis. I'm not at the point where I would throw this into court. A disputed charge with Visa would get the matter resolved fairly quickly. Court would the remedy of last resort, though it is not out of the question if nothing else works.

Pete

Pete, with all due respect SIR I would be on the phone tomorrow and have a brief one sided conversation! Tell Sawstop they have 24 hrs to get a tech to the saw and have it running, after that, stop payment, being you are a builder, :DI am ex trimmer, i would call my lawyer and put it into his hands.

ENOUGH BOVINE RESIDUE

petebucy4638

Pete
Corporate Member
It bothers me that they have not offered any sort of remedy for the fault. We are still stuck on them trying to diagnose the problem. They seem to be a bit hung up on the temperature issue, but when I asked if Sawstop saws were limited to tropical climates, they said that they have their saws in Alaska and they work fine.

Pete

I would ask them just that and tell them to come and get it or send you a completely new electrical control system for it. Suppose you did electrocute yourself?. How are they going to compensate you for the time?

petebucy4638

Pete
Corporate Member
Humidity is not an issues in the garage. It is a heated garage, but I don't keep it at house temperatures. Most table saws are housed garages and shops that have no HVAC system and they run great. I have the professional saw, but the safety systems are pretty much the same as the contractor saw version, which has to operate on job-site conditions - damp, wet, cold, and hot.

I think that Sawstop should include a disclaimer with their products that if it breaks, you are going to have to be the mechanic that fixes it. That might scare off more than a few prospective customers. With my background, repairing most problems with a shop tool is not a big deal. But there is no way for me to effectively diagnose what is going on with Sawstops computerized cabinet saw.

Pete

Pete,
Possibly a REALLY dumb question about to come out of my computer... but you said you keep the shop around 45-55 degrees - with it so cold lately, do you know what the dew point is? could you possibly be in the transition point, where the saw is sensing moisture?

With that said, I would think that the SS guys would have encountered this MANY times already, so it is likely a dumb scenario, but I am just thinking out loud here.

Personally, I agree with Jeff;
"I would call them again and ask to speak with a supervisor in the Tech Service area; tell them the problem and how you expect them to fix it at your shop sooner rather than later. The fallback option would be sending you a replacement control module or new saw and the packaging to return ship the defective one. Be nice, with no threats of legal action, etc.; they're human too and civility is paramount for success.
Hopefully, this gets things resolved quickly.
While I would not expect them to send a service technician, across the country, I would think a company that is selling a premium product has a method of dealing with these kinds of issues in a potentially remote setting, and to add insult to injury, I don’t consider Denver NC a remote location being so close to two large cities in the south!

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
But there is no way for me to effectively diagnose what is going on with Sawstops computerized cabinet saw.

Pete

... And you shouldnt have to!!! When a manufacturer sells a "premium" product, it should come with premium support, not "lets play phone tag and see if we can fix this thing". This is what customers are paying the premium for, not just a high quality product but for support after the sale and it sounds like theyre struggling.

petebucy4638

Pete
Corporate Member
Update: I just got off the phone with the tech at Sawstop. He said that they have started having the same problem that I am experiencing with other saws; it is not an isolated anomaly. The engineer thinks that the cause of the fault is coming from the arbor bearings. Yes - bearings. Sawstop essentially turns the blade into a radio antenna and they think that the bearings are causing signal issues that make the saws safety system think that the blade is encountering wet wood. Who would have thunk it?!

The tech is trying to find someone locally who can replace the arbor for me.

Pete

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Speak with a higher up senior technical person. Whatever the SS problem, it's not solving yours and many others haven't reported the same issues.

It's been cold and the relative humidity levels have been low here since mid-December. Alaska is more extreme in that regard, but maybe those saws are in heated shops at the same time so the comparison is moot.

frankc4113

Frank C
Corporate Member
Sounds to me that they could have admitted they were having this problem when you first talked with them, if perhaps what they are telling you is all true. My thoughts are that I might still make the complaint to the credit card company in that Sawstop will have a difficult time finding a technician anywhere who knows enough about the saw or this issue to repair it properly. If it were mine, I might just insist on a new saw that has already been tested for this problem or just give me my money back. If perhaps the credit card company denies payment to the dealer, they might react to the issue faster. I think that any of us who bought the Sawstop and read this, as well as others who are thinking about buying, now have some skepticism about the product in general. You may also let the people at Sawstop know you are a member of "North Carolina Woodworkers" and have published this information to a broad group of people who already own the saw or are thinking about purchasing it. Sounds to me like the Sawstop company is getting too big to place any importance on customer satisfaction.

petebucy4638

Pete
Corporate Member
From what I have been able to put together, this is an emerging problem that they have not experienced until just lately. The strange thing is that this saw was over a month old before the problem presented itself. The tech was not certain how the bearing actually caused the fault, but he said that the engineer working on the problem was certain that was what was causing the problem. When I asked if the arbor sensor was a possible culprit, he said that the engineer ruled out the sensor.

My guess is that as other Sawstop owners have called tech support with similar problems that the engineers have been working on diagnosing the problem and trying to find a solution. Unfortunately, the fix requires take the saw apart and then setting it up all over again.

Pete

Sounds to me that they could have admitted they were having this problem when you first talked with them, if perhaps what they are telling you is all true. My thoughts are that I might still make the complaint to the credit card company in that Sawstop will have a difficult time finding a technician anywhere who knows enough about the saw or this issue to repair it properly. If it were mine, I might just insist on a new saw that has already been tested for this problem or just give me my money back. If perhaps the credit card company denies payment to the dealer, they might react to the issue faster. I think that any of us who bought the Sawstop and read this, as well as others who are thinking about buying, now have some skepticism about the product in general. You may also let the people at Sawstop know you are a member of "North Carolina Woodworkers" and have published this information to a broad group of people who already own the saw or are thinking about purchasing it. Sounds to me like the Sawstop company is getting too big to place any importance on customer satisfaction.

Wyatt Co.

New User
Bill
I'm biased. I haven't liked the company for many years. I love the technology, just hate the company and it's president. The company is now owned by another company that I too dislike.

I assure you that it's only going to get worse, not better.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I'm biased. I haven't liked the company for many years. I love the technology, just hate the company and it's president. The company is now owned by another company that I too dislike.

I assure you that it's only going to get worse, not better.

Enlighten us, please. Why don't you like the SawStop company and who owns SS now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS