What would it take?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
What would we need, how many volunteers, what resources, which people to have an Outreach teaching event about once a month in different parts of the State, not just Raleigh and Triad areas?

attachment.php

Attachments

• NCWW-2015.jpg
    NCWW-2015.jpg
    559.5 KB · Views: 235
Last edited:

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
For one thing local projects. By local meaning all across the state since local for me is not local for you or Berta.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
That is part of the goal, more exposure in more places.

We shouldn't have to all (the 7 or 8 that always show) come to every event unless we want to.

If we can spread things around some and get teams in different areas, a couple or more drivers, etc. it should be better for everybody.

gator

George
Corporate Member
I would think that one of the first things to do is to compile a list of all possible events, festivals, etc (state-wide) that would be open to a NCWW booth, exhibit or demonstration. Everyone could submit such events in their area and dates (if it is an annual event) including contact information. As well as on-going (annual) events perhaps members could come up with ideas for one-time demo events in their area. For instance there is a retirement community in Greensboro that I am familiar with that likes to schedule various demo visits from interesting parties as an entertainment to the guests there.

George

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
- Volunteer recognition, maybe an honor page. Not too sure a hat or t-shirt works
- New projects, light sabers getting rather old. Maybe have a new design contest
- Local events by hopefully local champions
- Back to what worked, we did quite well at Pope AFB and bet they would welcome us back
- Maybe whittling classes at VFWs
- Demo days at our sponsors stores - quite sure they would welcome us. Possibly give small gift cert to whomever does demo
- Still like to have an apprenticeship program and contest for scholarship
- Train the trainer classes. Too many times I have heard "I would help but do not know how to teach" My shop is open
- Membership drive focused at getting new volunteers - some articles in local media would help, also handouts at local stores
- Professional article in Our State

Hope this helps

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
I understood Mike's question completely in a different manner. I though he meant what would it take to get a workshop at least once a month but in different areas other than Raleigh and Liberty.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
I understood Mike's question completely in a different manner. I though he meant what would it take to get a workshop at least once a month but in different areas other than Raleigh and Liberty.

Ah I did not read it that way but if that is the question then:
- Poll the membership to determine what and where
- Develop a mentor or area expert program, possibly just a listing
- Establish a person to coordinate workshops and help with the details of setting one up. I have done it a few times now but had no idea at first, hopefully it did not show too much
- Twist arms to get host, most will give in

Hope this helps

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
For so many of us, it's choosing a priority. I know during the month of Oct., I'm involved with Campers on Mission ministry at state fair. We start loading out last weekend in Sept, making sure everything is still working. Try to have everything stored by second weekend in Nov. In August, and Sept, I cut car bodies (500)for Toys for Tot's program, which others sand. Then November and first week of December, cut and sand 300 more bodies. Second (sometimes first) week end in Dec, Triangle Woodworkers has a workshop assembling cars. That pretty well uses up my "charity time" for the year.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I know that some or most people can't do this, sometimes I can't either.
I wouldn't ask anyone to do something they don't want to do.

But 10/8000 is a little one sided, we need help and there are other people who can.

If you can't that's fine, no need to explain.

I'm looking for solutions, not excuses.

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member

Michael
I understood the question like Phil did. Reading Mike's request and a response, I thought he was asking for members of the forum to consider volunteering to work in groups around the entire state to help broadcast the joy of woodworking and the associated skills.

Classes, Training, Workshop Education
How to Forum
Workshop Discussion
NCWW Outreach

Here are just a few of the categories you can begin a thread, post photos, and start discussions. Even with the small print to help define the title folder ie: Workshop Discussion (tell us about your shop) people get confused on where to place some information.

I have done some "workshop classes" in the past. Some of the start up information has been broadcast in the General Woodworking and then the feedback(comments and photos) has been posted in the Outreach forum and Classes, Training and Ed. Its easy to confuse the categories.

Maybe a little more on what being requested? I see teaching how to cut a mortise and tenon joint to a group of woodworkers entirely differently than setting up a display at the Stokes Stomp. Again, maybe I am off a little here?

More discussion will help... especially if its from folks who want to get involved and commit.

Kind of like the Ham and Egg Fundraiser: the chicken participates but the hog is committed.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Michael
I understood the question like Phil did. Reading Mike's request and a response, I thought he was asking for members of the forum to consider volunteering to work in groups around the entire state to help broadcast the joy of woodworking and the associated skills.

Classes, Training, Workshop Education

NCWW Outreach

Maybe a little more on what being requested? I see teaching how to cut a mortise and tenon joint to a group of woodworkers entirely differently than setting up a display at the Stokes Stomp. Again, maybe I am off a little here?

More discussion will help... especially if its from folks who want to get involved and commit.

Kind of like the Ham and Egg Fundraiser: the chicken participates but the hog is committed.

Y'all are all right. I was primarily asking about the Outreach program. But I don't see any reason it can't be used to do adult workshops.
And Stokes Stomp would be a great place to have adult projects going as well as the children's projects.
I don't see where it has to be one or the other. Many times parents have asked if they can make something for their child or for an additional child at home or one that is too young.

We should capture these opportunities to introduce the adults to the joy of woodworking. And try to encourage forum membership participation.

Train the trainer should be an ongoing educational opportunity. I have offered and I still provide training on individual basis at my home shop.
Phil has offered. Bill is always so gracious and helpful with his huge shop. This is something we should be doing regularly.

Workshops have been great with several more instructors involved and I hope this continues to grow in volume as well as geographical area.

With the current iteration of Outreach we are giving kids 15-20 minutes of one on one instruction and a free item to take away. Something they make with their own hands. Where else can they get that? So, how can we make it better. This is continual improvement 101...

gritz

New User
Robert
Sorry Mike, I'm not exactly sure what you are looking for because of the way your query was phrased, but perhaps one or two of these ideas may provide something to think about.

Schools don't teach shop anymore.
Females have interests in woodworking.
Scout programs need ways to earn merit badges.
Sponsors of this site have work space, customer lists, materials, and a desire for incidental sales.
Businesses are always looking for a way to build teams...why not a team build for a charity?
Events like fairs, etc. always have a need for demonstrations.

For each of these there would need to be a small outfitted tool trailer, a suitable place to set-up and work, at least 4/5 people, safety equipment and a source for materials.

Mossyarea

New User
Mossyarea
A maker space would be cool... where kids could come in with an idea and we could help them bring it to life. Obviously that would require a location, equipment, materials, probably a sponsor. Almost needing a full-time person? Could even get into how to use a simple CAD program. Could partner with boys and girls clubs. Make something kids would use and show their friends... maybe a Bluetooth speaker enclosure... We'd have to add an electronics guy for that one, unless there was a drop-in-parts kind of thing. A safety waiver. A mechanical kid might be interested in rehabbing old machinery, which could be sold, which could be used to fund more machinery rehabs. I got the bug from my grandfather, an old school, wooden rule, hand saw guy when he made me a set of "bones" or wooden spoons to play. He also gave me a table saw motor, wired it up, mounted it to a board and said, use it for something (no blade or nut to attach of course). Probably not the best toy for a 1st grader, but sure got me interested. Sadly, he passed away before he could mentor the woodworking. I built a small trebuchet with my son after he watched punkin' chunkin (not a 20 min project). My daughter has been helping me build a loft bed for her brother and likes to sneak off with the scraps to do wood burning art (think grumpy can on a 2x6). Took her to the hardwood store today and while digging through a stack of poplar she found, "the cutest board" she had ever seen, with purples, reds... sounded like she was trying to get me to buy a puppy. So, don't forget the really artsy kids.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
It would seem appropriate to re-introduce our Outreach program

The brochure can be found in the download library under the NCWW related file

Wish I knew how to insert it here for easier reading - If you know how, please do

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
One thing that might be attempted/considered is maybe some week day events. There are a lot of retired folks on this site and for one have more free time during the week then on the weekend.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
It would seem appropriate to re-introduce our Outreach program

The brochure can be found in the download library under the NCWW related file

Wish I knew how to insert it here for easier reading - If you know how, please do

added to first post.

images here are best in the JPEG or gif format. I downloaded the brochure and converted to jpeg then uploaded to the post.

as a print the PDF format is much better, so if anyone wants to print the brochure please go to the downloads library and get the original PDF version.

Last edited:

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
One thing that might be attempted/considered is maybe some week day events. There are a lot of retired folks on this site and for one have more free time during the week then on the weekend.

This is interesting. So lets take it one step.

Where would you keep a list of members who are retired that would sign up and like to be notified about a workshop or event M-F?

A while back we started a list of books and videos that the members had with the eventual hope of sharing. Not sure where it went?
I think its interesting but again it doesn't work without a person to really keep up with it.

Don't want to derail the Outreach theme here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors