What would it take?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
If my work load allows I can help during the week as I have nursing help then but not on the weekend as it is next to impossible and cost too much to get their help on the weekend

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
- Volunteer recognition, maybe an honor page.
We are working on this but will have to wait for the new software.

Not too sure a hat or t-shirt works

my daughter is getting a degree in non-profit management. One of the things they highly recommend is hats and shirts to help people feel like part of a team. We are ordering these for our Outreach members.

- New projects, light sabers getting rather old. Maybe have a new design contest

Great idea, we also need projects for adults, do you want to start a contest? We will come up with some good prizes for the winners.

- Local events by hopefully local champions

Yes, that is the goal

- Back to what worked, we did quite well at Pope AFB and bet they would welcome us back

I can see that as one month out of the year, but really want to reach out to other parts of the State and other segments of population. Western Carolina has been neglected, as well as women all over the State.

- Maybe whittling classes at VFWs

That is a great idea and would not require the trailer.

- Demo days at our sponsors stores - quite sure they would welcome us. Possibly give small gift cert to whomever does demo

Would like to a full day at each of the Klingspor stores and lumber retailers. I thought The Hardwood Store event was a successful day, could do similar around the State at their request and in conjunction with store anniversary or other celebration.

- Still like to have an apprenticeship program and contest for scholarship

This is a big thing and deserves considerable conversation. The board has discussed it and we have many questions to investigate. I think it may require a subcommittee to bring this to reality.

- Train the trainer classes. Too many times I have heard "I would help but do not know how to teach" My shop is open

As well as mine and I think several others, need to plan a day for this about once a quarter.

- Membership drive focused at getting new volunteers - some articles in local media would help, also handouts at local stores

These efforts should be directed toward the neglected areas of the State.

- Professional article in Our State

Would you help write such article? Or do we know someone who could submit it? I know several local reporters and retired reporters who may be able to help but would require a few folks to come here for interviews. Perhaps at one of the events?

Hope this helps

Yes, this exactly what we need to get going.

Thanks, sorry I didn't have time to reply until today.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
In Catawba County, at the Murrays Mill Harvest Festival, a group is present every year, with a trailer load of wood pieces cut out with which the children put together a bird house, or a tool box. At the Veterans Hospitals, there is a building where disabled veterans live. Our tractor club goes there annually with our tractors for the residents to enjoy. Might possibly be a place to have a hands on demo. There are several such facilities in different parts of the state. Perhaps the bird house idea or tool box idea might be offered to Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, 4-H, or other such groups where there is a central event happening. The opportunities are great, and the talent of NCWW is great, and there are many capable of doing these events. The problem as Mike is pointing out, the same handful people are doing all the work, which is why all the events are clustered in one area. We need volunteers in other parts of the state. We have groups of really talented guys and gals all over such as Asheville, Hendersonville area. There are a few in the Hickory area, and more near the coast etc. We've got a tremendous teaching tool, with a lot of money invested in the NCWW Outreach trailer. We do have many opportunities to teach, and many different age groups to reach out to. Now all we need are the NCWW people to step up. Come on guys and gals, we need you, and we need your ideas too!

Last edited:

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
If it would help I will start a Outreach project design contest. I would think we could use: a children project, a ladies project and a hand tool only project - your thoughts?

Glad to hear an apprentice program is still being considered. I would be willing to help on a subcommittee even chair it if you want.

Barbara started working on an article for Our State, but then she got sick. I can give some input and have a bunch of photos but actually writing an article is not within my skill set. Surely we could find someone

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
If it would help I will start a Outreach project design contest. I would think we could use: a children project, a ladies project and a hand tool only project - your thoughts?

Glad to hear an apprentice program is still being considered. I would be willing to help on a subcommittee even chair it if you want.

Barbara started working on an article for Our State, but then she got sick. I can give some input and have a bunch of photos but actually writing an article is not within my skill set. Surely we could find someone

Good ideas Phil. What you propose seems like a good starting point to get off the ground.

Most of my teaching as you know is with woodworkers who want to do something a little different. I do a little with young children in my shop and I have found some things that work for me with young woodworkers that might be helpful in a planning mode.

For 20 years I worked in education. This included hands on work with half the population being young girls. If you have to turn your back to do something, you want a room full of girls not a group of "I know that already" boys looming about.

Hand tool work is like eating with a fork for me. I can't remember when it started but its pretty far back. I'm still working with a drawknife more than a table saw jig like this.

I'm out there if you want to get something going. Trouble is... we're still the guys in the middle of the TH State.

jigs_fixtures_home_2_.jpg

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member

I've got some rather time consuming projects and they need them yesterday. However I would be willing to take on the challenge of writing the article for Our State, after I put together a new pamphlet for the Burial Urns For Veterans Project, and I come in from the shop exhausted and covered in man glitter (saw dust). Phil, when you have time shoot me a PM and we'll start talking about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS