Radio show and tell

Status
Not open for further replies.

striker

New User
Stephen
Well we all like pictures. I thought I'd toss in a photo of a small project I just finished for a friend. The radio originally had a plastic bezel which was broken - So I was asked-to replace it with tiger maple bezel.

41-221 1.jpg

I thought I'd add a photo of a tool I use frequently but have never seen in woodworking circles. It's called A hermaphrodite caliper and is used to scribe a line parallel to an outside surface. I used it to layout the radio bezel. Anyway just thought I'd share. ..
caliper.jpg

BeachBoy

New User
Jim
That hermaphrodite caliper must be a great tool, 'cause your layout is extremely precise. I'm impressed with your work.

striker

New User
Stephen
Thanks for all the kind words. Sorry I'm not a radio person. I did the work for a friend who messes around with old radios. Personally, I don't know much about them.

The completed bezel is a glue up of 3 or 4 pcs. Originally started with a couple of blanks cut at a 45 so the grain would run through at a bias and never run into end grain issues.

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
Are you saying that the curly maple part is made from 3 or 4 pcs? It looks like it was made from 2 pcs. It looks awesome. How did you make it?

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Are you saying that the curly maple part is made from 3 or 4 pcs? It looks like it was made from 2 pcs. It looks awesome. How did you make it?
Yes Stephen, it is almost too bad it is completed, I would like to see some of the work in process on that one...

It REALLY turned out nice!
I am guessing your radio friend is going to be back!

striker

New User
Stephen
A quick word about making the bezel. its actually 3 or 4 components glued up. A
front rectangular ring, a rear half, and the slats. The slats are let in to the rear half then the entire sandwich is glued together. It wasn't terribly difficult just tedious with a lot of handwork to get right.

Rick M

New User
Rick
Beautiful. Benn wanting to do something similar, hopefully mine turns out half as well.
- sent via Tapatalk

striker

New User
Stephen
Jenny caliper is a new one on me. It is a layout tool you'd expect to find in a old timers machinist chest. I used it today to scratch a few lines to resaw down a couple chunks of walnut.

I forgot I had the photos below...they may help with "how" question. The broken piece was the original

image206.jpg

image208.jpg

image207.jpg

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Stephen,
Thanks for posting the pictures.

I think you are truly a craftsman and an artist the bezel is beautiful AND you were able to figure out how to make it! Honestly a feat of Engineering!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors