I have a problem guys(more pictures)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
This is a swivel jewelery box - I made another one for NCTurner last year - The problem I have is with the top = It has a 1/4 rod down through one end and the top is setting on top of the rod - this is the front of the box - see where the top is setting close to the top drawer?
Jewelery_box1.jpg

View image in gallery
Well the back side is not setting close to the drawer - I bored all of the holes for the bushings on the boring machine - but for some reason the top is not setting level - the bushing in the top is already epoxied in -

Does anyone have any ideas on what I can do to get this straighten out - This picture shows the front = the top to the left shows where it should be all the way around - I have a bushing in the drawer that has a 1/16" or so flare on it to lift each drawer up so that it will have room to swing

any help would be appricitaed - Thanks

NCTurner

Gary
Corporate Member
Re: I have a problem guys

Phillip, how about a picture of the top, and underside of the top. The one you made for my wife sags at the outside of the top a little, I think the issue is that the bore doesn't go through. It would seem that it comes into play with the lack of thickness to the top piece, you may be able to overcome this by using epoxy to secure the rod in the lid at a perfect 90.

PChristy

New User
Phillip

I was worried about that sagging Gary - I wish I could find a better way to do this - I will get you a picture tomorrow

NCTurner

Gary
Corporate Member

Don't bother Momma, so it don't bother me Bro. I Would think either a tighter bushing, thicker top or securing the rod would work.

dlrion

New User
Dan

+ 1 for more pictures!

The only thing I can think of is bore it out to a larger diameter correctly, and insert a sleeve to get the correct dimensions. This should be stronger than normal if done exactly... the trick is going to be finding the sleeve that will work perfectly.....

good luck!

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith

Phillip, is the problem solely with the very top section? If so, I would consider drilling the bushing out and installing a new bushing.

PChristy

New User
Phillip

Phillip, is the problem solely with the very top section? If so, I would consider drilling the bushing out and installing a new bushing.

Scott, the top is the only one that is like this - the drawers have a little sag towards the other end but not bad - I don't know if I can get the bushing out with the small drill press that I have and it be correct - I will see what I can do - I will have more pics later

PChristy

New User
Phillip
:BangHead::BangHead: I found out what I did wrong - when I bored the hole out for the sleeve under the top I turned it upside down onto the Butterfly with a protrctive piece to protect the finish - The butterfly is not setting perfect all of the way around -and that made it bore out of square Did not take a picture -
Here is how much it was out

So I bored out the sleeve - This is before I bored it out

And I had an extra bushing with a flare and I took it and inserted a brass rod and cut it to length using my scroll saw -
Now I need to make up my mind if I want to epoxy the top onto the rod and not the base = the top still swags toward the other end but I think that will go away if I do epoxy the top and shim it up until that dries:icon_scra:dontknow:

dlrion

New User
Dan
Epoxy it and see if it works... what do you have to loose?

If it does not work is there a way to completely replace the brass bushing that is installed crooked with a larger (outside) diameter bushing that still has the same inside diameter? Can you even get the original bushing out?

Another random idea... can you bend the 1/4 inch rod in the opposite direction to compensate?

I bet your epoxy idea will work though.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Epoxy it and see if it works... what do you have to loose?

If it does not work is there a way to completely replace the brass bushing that is installed crooked with a larger (outside) diameter bushing that still has the same inside diameter? Can you even get the original bushing out?

Another random idea... can you bend the 1/4 inch rod in the opposite direction to compensate?

I bet your epoxy idea will work though.

I have taken the original bushing out and replace it with the flared bushing to give it some swing hiegth - I will apply some Epoxy to it Thursday and shim it until it dries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors