Tulip Poplar..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyle

New User
Kyle Edwards
Just an interesting tidbit I learned this week.

Tulip Poplar (Liriodendron tulipifera) is a close member of the MAGNOLIA family.. and not really a true poplar.True poplar are aspens and cottonwoods. Poplar is in the Magnoliaceae family and aspens and cottonwoods in the Salicaceae family.

I always wondered why the modified cone looks a lot like the magnolia and the wood grain is similar although the bark is very different.

anyway.. back to your regularly scheduled programming.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
yup, and I blew a shot at a piece of one that was taken down in my M-I-L's yard about two years ago. would have been some great turning blanks in there - course I still don't have a lathe, so....

sapwood

New User
Roger
:eusa_thin Verrrry interesting!
I can see the common characteristics, but how can one be an evergreen?
At least I've always considered Magnolia's to be evergreens.

Roger

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Actually Roger, many plants in the Magnoliaceae family are not evergreen. The few that come to my mind readily are Sweetbay Magnolia, and Saucer Magnolia.
What's most interesting is the nomenclature of organisms. You start with a Kingdom which defines it as a plant or animal. The you have a Division and in the case of plants, defines it as flowering or not. Then you have Class, & Order which defines very minute differences in flowering structure. The you have the Family which is the level that is being referenced. The family level is very diverse. For example in the Solanaceae family you have Tomatoes, Peppers, Jimsonweed (a highly hallucinogenic plant group), Tobacco, Petunia, and Potatoes as a small sampling.
Then you get to the groupings that really define what the plant is on our level, Genus and Species.
Nomenclature is a very precise subject and very interesting (to me, at least) The most interesting thing to me is that the proper nomenclature, in Latin, is the only way to globally define an organism. I don't care what language is spoken a Metasequoia glyptostroboides will always be a Giant Redwood tree. And is in the same family as Juniper, Cypress, and Thuja (Arborvitae).

Someone tell me to shut up :tongue100:

Dave:)

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Jimsonweed (a highly hallucinogenic plant group),

I didn't find it to be that much. I guess it must take lots of it. The South Western Indians had much better plant matter. :crossedlips:

Woodman2k

Greg Bender
Corporate Member
Boy Dave,
you were well on the way to somewhere:dontknow: and well,that was a nice recovery at the end.Joking aside,very informative .I did not know that about the tomato/tobacco/potato deal.Do any of those have an E?
Thanx,Greg B

J

jeff...

Actually Roger, many plants in the Magnoliaceae family are not evergreen. The few that come to my mind readily are Sweetbay Magnolia, and Saucer Magnolia.
What's most interesting is the nomenclature of organisms. You start with a Kingdom which defines it as a plant or animal. The you have a Division and in the case of plants, defines it as flowering or not. Then you have Class, & Order which defines very minute differences in flowering structure. The you have the Family which is the level that is being referenced. The family level is very diverse. For example in the Solanaceae family you have Tomatoes, Peppers, Jimsonweed (a highly hallucinogenic plant group), Tobacco, Petunia, and Potatoes as a small sampling.
Then you get to the groupings that really define what the plant is on our level, Genus and Species.
Nomenclature is a very precise subject and very interesting (to me, at least) The most interesting thing to me is that the proper nomenclature, in Latin, is the only way to globally define an organism. I don't care what language is spoken a Metasequoia glyptostroboides will always be a Giant Redwood tree. And is in the same family as Juniper, Cypress, and Thuja (Arborvitae).

Yeah I hear you - but you forgot to add the freaks of nature "hybrids" like leland cypress for example.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I didn't find it to be that much. I guess it must take lots of it. The South Western Indians had much better plant matter. :crossedlips:

Jimsonweed, more specifically Datura spp. also know as Nightshade contains Tropane alkaloids specifically and most common Atropine. The line between it's true hallucinogenic properties and poisoning is very fine.
Atropine produces true hallucinations that are indistinguishable from reality, unlike Psilocybin and LSD which are purely sensory hallucinations. Very similar to Peyote/Mescal, although the alkaloid compound Mescaline, is quite different in make up, it's effect are quite similar.

...Or so I have read ;)

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Someone tell me to shut up
Now why would anyone want to do that? (a) this is great stuff Dave, keep that info coming! :icon_thum (b) it wouldn't do any good anyway :)

The Latin names always look complicated, but they're very logical and organized. Once you get used to them, it's a lot easier to figure out what something is from the Latin name than the English name.

Heck, I always thought Tulip Poplar was called that because it was a Dutch tree :eusa_doh:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Now why would anyone want to do that? (a) this is great stuff Dave, keep that info coming! :icon_thum (b) it wouldn't do any good anyway :) Very true!!

The Latin names always look complicated, but they're very logical and organized. Once you get used to them, it's a lot easier to figure out what something is from the Latin name than the English name.

Heck, I always thought Tulip Poplar was called that because it was a Dutch tree :eusa_doh:

The Dutch might be the Masters of the Tulip, but they ain't that Poplar :lol::lol::lol::lol:

redhawknc1

New User
Wayne
Certainly makes good honey! I've got 7 hives justa waiting on it to bloom! Biggest spring nectar flow for beekeepers!

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
Atropine, and 2-Pam Chloride - ingredients in every soldiers NAAK (nerve agent antidote kit) hmmmm, didn't know the halucinogenic properties of the atropine - guess using the protective mask (NAK's are stored there in an auto-injection kit) as a pillow really was a bad idea??

Kyle

New User
Kyle Edwards
Atropine, and 2-Pam Chloride - ingredients in every soldiers NAAK (nerve agent antidote kit) hmmmm, didn't know the halucinogenic properties of the atropine - guess using the protective mask (NAK's are stored there in an auto-injection kit) as a pillow really was a bad idea??

its also an antidote to organophosphate poisoning (remember that from my anatomy and phys classes years ago) fights S.L.U.D.G.E. Salivation, Lacrimation,Urination, Defecation, Gastrointestinal motility and Emesis.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
um, Kyle, way too many words to look up there. They didn't use big words like that to tell us it could keep Sarin and other agents from killing us.

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Jimsonweed, more specifically Datura spp. also know as Nightshade contains Tropane alkaloids specifically and most common Atropine. The line between it's true hallucinogenic properties and poisoning is very fine.
Atropine produces true hallucinations that are indistinguishable from reality, unlike Psilocybin and LSD which are purely sensory hallucinations. Very similar to Peyote/Mescal, although the alkaloid compound Mescaline, is quite different in make up, it's effect are quite similar.

...Or so I have read ;)

:wink_smil Yo, Dave, got any left over? :slap:

sapwood

New User
Roger
There are evergreen oaks, so it makes sense to me.

Now, that makes sense :thumbsup:

I learned about the positive/negative effects of atropine in a Chemical and Biological Warfare course while in the Marines. However, I don't think I could have jabbed one of those needles in my leg under any circumstance :confused_ Most of our equipment was left over from the Spanish/American War of 1898 :laughing7

Roger

Will Goodwin

New User
Will Goodwin
Dave you been holding out on me... I thought you just knew a lot about turning pens :rolf:! I thought I was doing good to remember the saying we used to remember the classifications:

Kings - Kingdom
Play - Phylum
Chess - Class
On - Order
Fine - Family
Grain - Genus
Sand - Species

That was from High School Biology. I have a book that I picked up somewhere that has a lot of Botanical names in it. Manual of Cultivated Plants. I don't open it very often, but you made me want to go crack it open.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors