Sanding spalted wood

LomToon

New User
LomToon
Hey all,
Wondering if anyone else has noticed spalted wood sanding much differently within the same slab of wood.
Picked up on it with my pine table, and with the end am making a small conversation table…noticing also that the spalted edges sand way “harder” than the rest of the board.

helper

helper - woodsman
User
There is a fantastic product out there called Wood Hardener by Varathane - dries fast and provides a surface that is pretty even for sanding (where the spalted would normally be worn away first by sanding). My local big box store has this in stock for about $20. There are many other methods to stabilize the spalted wood - I have even heard of somebody using diluted clear fingernail polish.
1710335484449.png

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
I apply a wash of hot hide glue over any areas I need to harden. This doesn't affect the ability to apply stain or finish, and it "sets" the fibers, making it easier to sand or use a card scraper w/o tearout.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I have even heard of somebody using diluted clear fingernail polish.
Most fingernail polish is lacquer. So, a can of brushing lacquer would be more cost effective in the long run unless you will only use an ounce or two in your lifetime.

LomToon

New User
LomToon
Am interested in trying something to help for sure so thanks for the suggestions. However my point is trying to understand why it seems to take MORE effort to get the spalted edges sanded and maintaining flatness. The spalted seems to take roughly 50-60% more effort than heart wood

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS