Lye aging for cherry

jfynyson

Jeremy
User
A low cost readily available tannic acid source would be to take several black tea bags and steep them in boiling water for 30min or so in a small container (quart paint can or small pot for example). Brush this onto the wood. This is an age-old trick as well and works best for woods with very little if any tannins such as pine, which I've done this on. You then have options to ebonize it if you wish but I think you're going after the reddish brown look vs more blackened. If ebonizing, use the steel wool & vinegar solution that's been reacting for a couple weeks in a jar to give you iron acetate and when brushed onto the tannic acid from the tea that soaked into the wood will yield the dark iron tannate coloration.

MarkDarby

Mark
Corporate Member
There was an article not long ago that recommended mixing peroxide with vinegar and then add steel wool. Turned it a nice shade of gray.

Robert Kruger

New User
Bob
I have a new cherry table that I want to age to match 200 year old cherry furniture. Of course, I could stain. But I saw someone age cherry in about 1 min. with lye. I am about to experiment with this. I understand I will rinse and then stabilize with vinegar. Has anyone else had experience with this and perhaps tips? thanks
Not an expert, but I did use lye on cherry some 30 years ago and now am finishing (adding-on) to this project after raising the kids! A cabinetmaker friend of mine suggested pottasium dichromate. I am in the midst of testing the differences myself. First impression is that the lye portion is a bit redder compared to the PD which seems browner. But still testing - I'll keep you posted.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS