Furniture Plans

EAK

New User
Ed
Where is a good place to find furniture plans? I would like to make several pieces for my home. While I am not great designer, I am a fairly good replicator.
Ed K

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
My woodworking is primarily book learning. First at the library then with Wood Magazine then Woodworkers Journal. I also purchased many books on the subject(s). If you know what you want to build, you can find books on the subject.
FYI I have built tables, cabinets ( 2 bathrooms, one kitchen) 2 chairs, one screen door…you get the picture.

Last edited:

EAK

New User
Ed
My woodworking is primarily book learning. First at the library then with Wood Magazine then Woodworkers Journal. I also purchased many books on the subject(s). If you know what you want to build, you can find books on the subject.
FYI I have built tables, cabinets ( 2 bathrooms, one kitchen) 2 chairs, one screen door…you get the picture.
Thank you for your timely response.
Ed

woodlaker2

Ray
Corporate Member
Where is a good place to find furniture plans? I would like to make several pieces for my home. While I am not great designer, I am a fairly good replicator.
Ed K
Do you know the style you want to build? Lotsa plans out there but I've found it useful to look for plans in the style I want rather than surf thru everything available.

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Look up Thomas Moser. He wrote several books about Shaker style furniture and has all the needed dimensions. Also look up Carlyle Lynch, Franklin Gottshall, Lester Margon, Andy Marlow. They all wrote books about specific styles of furniture.

Roy G

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Look up Thomas Moser. He wrote several books about Shaker style furniture and has all the needed dimensions. Also look up Carlyle Lynch, Franklin Gottshall, Lester Margon, Andy Marlow. They all wrote books about specific styles of furniture.

Roy G
That pretty much covers it. All excellent leads.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
They do charge for their plans, but plans are pretty detailed and if you find what you want worth the price....Woodsmithsplans.com

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
Another source: Fine Woodworking Project Plans

Keep in mind that if you search the 3D Warehouse for plans you're likely to get a bunch of furniture models that are far from ready to build from. They may give you construction details you can work from but you'll want to go through them with a fine-toothed comb.

iclark

Ivan
User
I found the online index to the Woodsmith magazine issues when I was looking for some plans:

Woodsmith is currently offering online access to the magazine archives for ~$79 and, for another $20, you can also get a USB stick for offline reading.

If I am not confusing sources, you could read the magazine for articles with plans and then order full-scale plans from their store )cited by Donn above).

EAK

New User
Ed
Another source: Fine Woodworking Project Plans

Keep in mind that if you search the 3D Warehouse for plans you're likely to get a bunch of furniture models that are far from ready to build from. They may give you construction details you can work from but you'll want to go through them with a fine-toothed comb.
Yep. I took a look. The plans are detailed enough to put some flesh around. Thank you

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
The plans are detailed enough to put some flesh around. Thank you
If you can do that you can likely create your own plans from your own SketchUp models. It's not too dificult to take a design as a starting point and modify it to suit if needed. As an example, this is a table I designed for a client to build for his client. It was based loosely on an existing design. I made a bunch of modifications and then, after client sign-off, created plans for it.

EAK

New User
Ed
I thank all who have replied. I have some good resources from which I will develop a library of projects. Family members will be happy to they will be the recipients of all that I produce. Retirement is great.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS