Best method to join to large/heavy hickory slabs?

kserdar

Ken
Senior User
HickoryForSign.jpg

I have to join 2 pieces of hickory ... currently each piece is 16" wide and 2" thick.
I need to make one piece 30" x 30". To be used as an outdoor sign.

I am not sure on the best method to keep this monster from splitting.

kelLOGg

Bob
Senior User
I know hickory doesn't stand up well in the ground but not sure about in the weather. Any know more on this? Will it be exposed to rain/sun?

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
is the sign going to be double sided? could you install some struts on the back the span between the two pieces?

Wiley's Woodworks

Wiley
Corporate Member
I would install a dozen one inch by four inch dowels.
Mike's got it right. Make the dowels go at least 2" into each board. Longer dowels will do a better job of supporting the weight of the bottom board. For glue use Titebond III, the waterproof version. Use primer before you paint. I don't know of any sealer--varnish, poly, lacquer, etc. that will stand up to the elements more than a few years. The paint will fade but can be scuffed and touched up easier if there is no topcoat on it.

tghsmith

tghs
User
the ends of the glue joint would be a place where separation and failure could start, consider some metal plates/straps with screws.. they could be inset and puttied over..

JNCarr

Joe
Corporate Member
I would also be inclined to add a few dowels - maybe 4.
But how many times have we read on this site and in the literature that "today's glues are stronger than the wood"? If that's true, then are dowels needed? :confused:

Echd

C
User
I would also be inclined to add a few dowels - maybe 4.
But how many times have we read on this site and in the literature that "today's glues are stronger than the wood"? If that's true, then are dowels needed? :confused:

Other than alignment, you're also essentially increasing the surface area between the two pieces and giving more glue surface to fasten the two pieces together as a result.

Wiley's Woodworks

Wiley
Corporate Member
the ends of the glue joint would be a place where separation and failure could start, consider some metal plates/straps with screws.. they could be inset and puttied over..
This is a good idea, even if it approaches a belt and suspenders method. Rather than risk exposing filler/putty to the elements, I would inset them flush, put primer on them, and paint over them. They will be almost invisible when hanging up high. Anyone who does spot them will appreciate the extra craftsmanship in your work.

Wiley's Woodworks

Wiley
Corporate Member
I reread this chain and looked at the photos more closely. The boards look to be thick enough to use a butterfly in each end. That would really show off your craftsmanship.

BTW what is a wood dutchman?

blackhawk

Brad
Corporate Member
I would rip that hickory into no wider than 4" strips and then glue those pieces up to get you the 30" final width. That is going to be your most stable method. This is how all the commercial western red cedar sign blanks are made. Commercial sign blanks are typically 1-3/4" thick and only use glue without any dowels or biscuits or dominos. Sikkens Cetol and 1 shot paints are what I use for outdoor sign finishes.

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
I’ve usually thought of a butterfly as something used to prevent wood from cracking/splitting more. Shaped like Matin’s picture.

A Dutchman is a small patch, usually thin, in the wood surface to cover a hole or defect. I don’t believe they’re structural, but more cosmetic and can be different shapes.

Maybe someone else knows the etiology of dutchman and bowtie !

Last edited:

Wiley's Woodworks

Wiley
Corporate Member
Yea, I was suspecting it might be this. I have always heard them called bowties, sometimes called butterflies. Dutchman is a new term to me. This is an elegant woodworker's solution. I also see the logic in using the multiple boards/glue lam method. If you alternate the curvature of the end grains, that should eliminate any cupping/warping due to the elements. Regarding the finish, I defer to other posters who seem to have direct experience in making outdoor signs that stand up to the weather.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS