Yuba Sawsmith Radial Arm Saw - I need parts!!!

drumone

New User
Neil
Normally, I would just refer to my own thread about parts suppliers over on Woodworking Talk. However, I need parts for a 65 year old saw that hasn't been manufactured for 60 years. I picked up a Yuba Sawsmith RAS (circa 1959-60) last year. I didn't realize it at the time, but it's missing a number of parts that I have to have to make it functional/operational. A lot of things from years ago are no longer available. I have read through the entire thread on the Shopsmith Forum about this machine. If anyone has one of these machines that they are willing to part out OR if you see one of these machines for sale somewhere, please let me know. Any help in finding replacements is greatly appreciated. Please help!!!

Here's a list of what I am looking for (Ref. No, Part No., Description):

Mandatory - Motor-Carriage Assembly
53 - 4864 - Nut-Spindle, L.H.
87 - 27032 - 1-1/4" Arbor-Saw
13 - 2355 - Washer

Needed but not required - Motor-Carriage Assembly
54 - 4868 - Wrench-Arbor
98 - 700040 - Anti-Kickback Assembly
Rubber boot that covers the unused side of the arbor shaft

Mandatory - Base, Column, Arm and Table
23 - 4694 - Wire-Coiled
24 - 4698 - Wire-Main, with Plug
76 - 700048 - Lock Assembly-With Key (My key is stuck in the on position and won't turn. The key is also partially broken.)

Needed but not required - Base, Column, Arm and Table
80 - 700057 - Switch Assembly (I'm missing the plastic "Start" button, but the switch itself works.)

I'm also curious if anyone knows whether or not a more recent (or past) SHOPsmith arbor w/ the set screw will work with the old RAS? Thanks for your thoughts and input!

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
That's a rather complicated radial arm saw.
At first I thought it might be as simple as measuring the diameter and thread pitch of the spindle nut and finding a suitable nut of the same style thread. I think there's more details to it than that.
I'll be interested to see some respond that has an inventory of obsolete parts that has been categorized as to stock number.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Are you really sure you want to use it even if you got the parts? There is a reason no one makes an RAS any more.

Power cord and coiled cord can come from any similar tool. Key switch can be replaced with just a switch.
Arbor and nut may be really difficult. Maybe best bet is to have an arbor off some modern saw with matching nut and washer machined to fit.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors