You gotta know what it cost when....

Status
Not open for further replies.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Today grandson and I went pawn shopping in Durham. We hit a total of nine shops. Prices were all over the place. One shop had a HF compressor for $189. Currently HF has it on sale for $99, and you can add a 20% off coupon, bringing it down to $80. Porter Cable brad nailers ranged from $25 to $89.99. All were in the same basic condition. One shop had a Delta 22-540, 12 " planer for $299.99. I paid less than that for mine new, 15 years ago. Another shop had same planer for $99, but in poor condition. So before going pawn shopping, you gotta know what stuff is worth.

ss600r

New User
Steve
I went by one while I was out today and found the same things.There was a PC compressor for $200 with nothing, Home Depot has the same for right at $238 with a brad and finish nailer. There was a rough looking hitachi miter saw for $90 that I have seen at Lowes for $99.

Dean Maiorano

New User
Dino
Hmmm...

Isn't it amazing, I have seen this phenomena numerous times at pawn shops. My wife wonders why I 'breeze' through the tool aisles at the big box stores every time I'm in one, despite the fact that I'm not shopping for toyls. "Pricing" I always tell her, I have something left of the photographic memory of my youth and it still serves me well enough to avoid overpaying on a "deal".

Ebay has the same crazy dynamic. Recently I've started to use the phrase "fool retail" to describe auction prices that were at (or often well above) full retail when a sale closed. It's insane to spend more than 1/2 to 3/4 for a used tool. I don't care how drool inducing a "toyl" is, one should never pay such ridiculously bloated prices.

Dean

Rob

New User
Rob
Flea markets aren't much better. I once saw a sabre saw I wanted, but he priced it at new. Told him that's what I would pay at Sears for a brand new one, his answer was, "this is brand new in the box" He couldn't understand why I would rather buy new from Sears then new from him.

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
Yeah, I've yet to find anyting at a pawn shop that was worth buying for the asking price. I know it happens, I've just not found it's worth the effort.... Had much better luck on Craigslist although there are a fair number of silly prices there too....

Dean Maiorano

New User
Dino
Flea Markets might be better than you think.

I was at the Raleigh Fairgrounds a couple weeks ago and there were several 'traveling' flea market vendors from up north, that were really giving great deals. Again, 'you gotta know what it cost when', and I did. There were some great deals to be had, especially if you haggle with them. The spaces each run $25 per day, I think, so there was less attention to 'overhead' as there might be elsewhere. What's more, many sellers were offering deep discount deals as the heat grew more unbearable.

Dean

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Dean, I've seen the people over bid in estate auctions as well. The fun of a bargain is overwhelmed by the desire to win at all costs (pun intended).

Dragon

New User
David
I have to disagree here. I've been known to get some pretty good deals at flea markets and pawn shops. My last score was an almost new Porter Cable router for $65.00. I still stop in every now and then to see what might be there..............:dontknow:

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Its always a coin toss
I'm amazed to see people get sucked into the bargain and spend too much.
Not that I've ever done it. Nor have I ever bought something for a reasonable price on fleebay and spend more than retail price on shipping/handling and not realize it until it was too late....
*(where is the fingers crossed behind my back icon???)
You're right -you've got to know costs - and values

Glennbear

Glenn
Good advice Bruce, to paraphrase an old men's clothing store commercial "An educated consumer is his own best friend". :wsmile:

algustaf

New User
Al
Pawn shops will sell at good deals if you make an offer and be prepared to head for the door. I have picked up several tools at various shops including a great Unisaw for $500 (asking price was $999). Just make your offer and make them decide if they want to sell something today or collect dust for a few more months.

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
I stroll through the pawn shop in Yadkinville, looking for the ever-elusive good deal. You can see 3 or 4 miter saws, and they are all the same price. Yet some look rougher than others. Do they not think to even get the surface rust off a tool before putting a price on it? :nah:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS