You Get What You Pay For!

Status
Not open for further replies.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
I've been building cubbies for local Y's for over 14 years, Priced out a set last year for a Y. Board of directors member said they knew someone who would do them for about a third less than my quote. Well this past weekend they installed said cubbies. First they forgot to cut out backs and reinstall recepticals. This means they will have to come back (a three hour drive each way) and correct this mistake. Second, they used Chinese birch plywood, which has paper thin veneers and soft cores as compaired to Columbia Forest Products birch plywood. They used a "shop grade" that is full of knots and stain streaks. For backing, rather than buying 1/4" birch, they used 1/4" luan, which has a birch veneer on back side. It's filled with knot holes and filler. Oh did I mention that the UPC code tags are still attached to backside of luan in back of cabinets, which means they show in finished cubbies. Next they used angle clips on top to fasten cubbies to wall, instead of fastening though back in upper corner of cubbie. Lastly, they used iron on tape to cover front edges of plywood, while I use glued on 1/4" maple. This means that bookbags will quickly wear through veneer on plywood, and edge tape will either be pulled off, or just not protect edge from damage. Over the next five or so years, I will make more REPAIRING this set of cubbies than the difference in my price and theirs. As Jim Collier used to say" Quality is like buying oats. If you nice clean oats they will cost you, but if you don't mind if they have already been through the horse, then they are cheaper."

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I can still remember a sign in a tractor store many years ago that said, "The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten." :gar-Cr

Did I mention that Harbor Freight is having another sale? :gar-La;

Vetteman9956

New User
Brad
Dennis,

I had that saying hanging on the wall of my aircraft maintenance shop for many years. The stories I could tell, Still have trouble believing that some people would cheap out on a mechanical piece that they put their whole family in, goes 300mph and flew at 20,000 feet. Hard to pull over if something breaks. the other one I had went

You can have It done Fast, Cheap, and Correctly. Pick the 2 you want.

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
If someone does a job for 30% less than the going rate, I'd want to see some of their completed jobs. :wconfused:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS