Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
IMG_4052.JPG

M

McRabbet

Shape is beautiful and even a natural spot for the salad tongs to rest! How big is it?

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Very nice Mike :icon_thum

Good looking grain and I really like the natural edge.

pete

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
very nice job
I also enjoy turning locust.
If I'm correct that weed pot most likely was a fence post at some point. I've seen quite a few of those (before and after) and enjoy weed pots as well.
Keep up the great work!

DavidF

New User
David
Very nice looking bowl mike. I like the way you included the "fault" rather than cut away. I must try that on my next one.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I'm way behind on cutting firewood because we kept thinking our farm would sell so I'm just now starting to cut. Saturday i cut a few trees and dragged them down out of the woods. I cut dead locust so it is ready to burn as soon as we split and stack it.

Late in the afternoon I was whipped so i decided to take a break and do something in the shop. One of the trees was about 12 inches across so I split it and cut a blank to turn.

Some of the big old trees are hollow in the center. That is what you see on the edge, the dead rotten center of the tree. I tried to keep it in the bowl but it was so soft a big chunk flew out right away.

The finished bowl is about 11 inches across and nearly 5 inches high. Roughly 3/8 inch thick. I like to make my bowls thick enough to actually use.

Locust is so hard sparks fly off my chain saw when I cut it, but it turns pretty well. I think the old oak burl was much harder.

There are two more large trees, maybe 14 inches at chest height. I hope I can get a few more bowl blanks out of them.

The weed pots are Walnut Jerry's work, he gave them to us as a gift.

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Nice angle on the pic, Mike. The grain pattern looks like a diagram of how hands should lift the bowl.

Even dog-tired, you do outstanding turning.

Mark Stewart

New User
Mark
Mike this is a wonderful turning I am looking for some locust to turn my self you have done a very btautiful job on this bowl. Thanks Mark

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Great looking bowl. Not just anyone could take a piece of rotten tree and make a work of art out of it.:thumbs_up

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Mark,

How much locust do you need? I need to cut a couple big ones in the next couple weeks, I hear it's going to be cold this winter.

I can set aside some chunks for you if you can arrange a pony express ride.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Very nice looking bowl mike. I like the way you included the "fault" rather than cut away. I must try that on my next one.

A fault is something unwanted or undesirable. A knot is just part of the tree, rot is just one of the many states wood goes through. To leave it or to take it away is not the choice, to make a bowl is the choice. The wood is there or not there, who am I to decide if it is wanted or needed? I just make the bowl with the wood God gave me. Sometimes they decorate the room, sometimes they warm the room. A warm fire in the stove is also a thing of beauty.

jerrye

New User
Jerry
Mark,

How much locust do you need? I need to cut a couple big ones in the next couple weeks, I hear it's going to be cold this winter.

I can set aside some chunks for you if you can arrange a pony express ride.
I can Pony it. I should be back in Spruce Pine again in a couple of weeks or so.

Kalai

New User
Chris Kalai Allen
HI Mike, great looking bowl, I like the natural edge part on the rim of the bowl and I like the shape and form too, very nice, aloha.

Kalai

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Thanks Jerry,

So, I'll find out what Mark needs, get it cut and probably meet you in Greensboro. Maybe you could shuffle a few other items while we're at it.

Fred has been holding a piece of plastic for me, I have some saw table wings for junquecol and do you ever go near Forest City?

Mark,

Let me know what you need, I have lots of locust. Some dead some green, even some very old and full of bug holes. You may even want to come out and pick what you want.

Thanks Kalai,

You are a master and I appreciate your complement. Mahalo :eusa_pray

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors