WTB Vacuum chamber

gtrboy77

Dean
User
Does anyone know an inexpensive source for a vacuum chamber? I already have the vacuum pump. I’ve checked Craigslist and FB Marketplace and couldn’t find anything local. A friend gave me several burls of cherry and I’d like to try stabilizing them in some Cactus Juice. I’m located in Spartanburg, SC.

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
most people use a pressure pot from HF. Not sure if there are different sizes or how large your burls are. Give them a look.

charlessenf

(;harles
Senior User
Does anyone know an inexpensive source for a vacuum chamber? I already have the vacuum pump. I’ve checked Craigslist and FB Marketplace and couldn’t find anything local. A friend gave me several burls of cherry and I’d like to try stabilizing them in some Cactus Juice. I’m located in Spartanburg, SC.
GOOGOL "build a vacuum chamber to stabilize burls" Looks as if you won't be the first!

Or Amazon

BVV 5 Gallon Aluminum Vacuum Chamber with Glass Lid​

Making a Cheap Vacuum Chamber for Stabilizing Wood

1709395388575.png
YouTube · Walter Sorrells
34.1K+ views · 2 years ago

1709395388582.jpeg
10:56
Vacuum chambers are needed for stabilizing wood for use in knife handles -- as well as other wood working projects like wood turning.

How do you stabilize a burl?
The way to do this is to cook the wood at 220° F for a minimum of 24 hours. Then take the wood out of the oven and immediately place it in air tight containers or ziplock bag until it is cool enough to stabilize. Second, make sure your oven temperature is 190-200° F when curing your blanks.

Hi ! I'm trying to stabilize some nice maple burl with natural edge to cast ...

Last edited:

HITCH-

Hitch
Corporate Member
The Harbor Freight 2.5 gallon Pressure Pot is on sale through tomorrow. I have heard of using a pressure pot like this and Thompsons Water Seal to stabalize burl. You will get better penetration if you cut the burl into smaller pieces.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240302_123840_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240302_123840_Chrome.jpg
    628.9 KB · Views: 25

charlessenf

(;harles
Senior User
From what I read/watched/heard online this opening the an ability to see what's happening to your burl was significantly important to the folks working with cactus juice and other solutions - albeit one thought the CJ made the plastic cover crack prematurely.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS