WTB stained/leaded glass mahogany door

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveD

New User
Dave
Anyone have any recommendations on where to buy (or have made) real stained glass inserts for skeleton door frames or know a company near Raleigh that would make the complete door with the insert?

I need a 2-8 x 6-8 interior door preferrably out of mahogany with a full stained glass insert. There is already a 2-0 door in the house with a nice stained glass panel and I'd like to try and get something similar for another door opening. This would be an interior door between a bedroom and bathroom.

I found a couple of places on the internet but at $200 a sq ft I'd like to be able to 'touch/feel' the company I would be giving that kind of money too and that price seems high. I really don't know though because I've never priced one out.

Its not for my house or my money. I'd just be the installer. I can easily sell a $1000 door but as the price goes higher than that we may consider other alternatives.

How about somebody that does sand blast art on glass and then gets the glass tempered? Know any locals in the triad area that do that kind of work?

Thanks in advance, Dave

cskipper

Cathy
There is a really neat business in downtown Greer that makes stained glass to order called Foothills Art Glass Co. Their phone number is 864-877-0040. The couple I talked to were very helpful and friendly. I don't remember if they had a web site, but give them a call and they can tell you. Their work was impressive.

chris99z71

New User
Chris
Dave,
Have you tried looking at the Habitat for Humanity re-use center? They have more doors than any hardware store I've ever seen. Many are from older houses and there is about every size and style you can think of. I know that I saw some descent older, solid wood, full glass divided light interior doors there. If you could get some stained glass panels for it and a little TLC (refinishing), you could potentially have a beautiful door.

DaveD

New User
Dave
Thanks Chris, Skipper, and Mike for the feedback.

I'll keep the Geer place in mind. Still looking for a touch/feel kind of place near by.

The Habitat place (in Raleigh)may be an option for a used door if I could find something decent. I go there every couple of months just to look around and have found some weird stuff I have bought.

I hear you on the $50/sq foot just for materials 25 years ago. That was why I was asking.

Money isn't necessarily a problem and the 'client' is my daughter so I want to do it right if we do it at all. Still looking into the sand blast art as an alternative.

I even thought of veneering a pine door but I'm not too enthused about that idea.

I/we already know we are talking about a $1000-2000 door. Probably at the higher end of that to boot. I really don't know though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS