Would-be Wheelwright

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnpipe108

New User
John Meshkoff
This is my first attempt at making an artillery-carriage wheel, scaled down from the "cannon" in the 1957 Stanley Kramer production "The Pride And The Passion". Construction is pine for the 5 felly's and the hub, and poplar for the 10 spokes. Since I couldn't find long 1/4- or 3/4-inch steel-strips for "tyres" (and couldn't weld them either), I made English-system artillery-wheel strakes from locally available 22ga, 18-inch x 3/4" construction straps.

Wheel-Artillery-8nch-dscf0891.jpg

That's Cary Grant in the B&W in the background, inspecting the "repaired" cannon, and my 1/2"-bore, 9" bronze naval saluting cannon on the left, and spare spokes in the dish; the 8-inch square shows the wheel size.

Of course, this wheel's for practice; the next two will be for a model of the movie cannon, at a scale of 1-inch = 1 foot:

Gun-on-run-dscf0874.jpg

The movie gun had a 18-foot barrel of fiber-glass, with about a 1-1/2-foot diameter steel-tube liner for the effects charges. I'm debating whether to put a 1-1/4-inch iron pipe tube inside the projected pine barrel, or stick to the non-effects 1-1/2-inch PVC tube.:evil:

Regards,

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Looks good to me, too. BTW, what's wrong with PVC pipe for an 'effects' barrel? There's been many a potato cannon made with PVC pipe. You just couldn't (or shouldn't) use blsck powder........

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Looks good to me John.

I made 100 wood wheels about 14 inch high way back 30 years ago for some wheel barrows we sold to Neiman-Marcus. They were very similar to your wheel except the hub was 10 inches wide to fit the frame of the barrow.

I used 3/4 inch steel crate strapping for the tyre. Overlapped about an inch and a round head nail bradded through the fellow. I wish i had pictures, but all we had was a Polaroid and they have faded now. My mother still has the mock up over in Alabama, maybe I can take pics next time I go over there.

Use the steel pipe, you might want to burn some black powder someday!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS