Workshop lighting upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

dave

New User
Dave
Hi all!

My shop currently has four fluorescent light fixtures so I am need of more light and thought I would upgrade to LED. I have seen some plug in LED fixtures and was hoping I could pull down the current fixtures and wire up outlets in the ceiling to run two separate LED fixtures, thereby doubling the number of lights to eight.

Not being schooled in electricity, I wanted to ask if this would work or is this not a good idea?

Thanks!
Dave

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Mark,

How thick are those from top to bottom? I need light above my garage door and should have a fixture that is less than 2 inches tall for that space.

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
I have just upgraded my shop lights. My shop is about 600 sq. ft. I replaced the ballast from T-12 to T-8. I now have 32 T-8s & a LED flood. If this sounds like overkill, I'm 75, never had great eyes, but now I have to have tons of light to see what I'm doing.

Here's a lesson: I paid $15 for the ballast & spent around 1 to 2 hours work. A new fixture would have cost me $20. IT'S NOT WORTH THE TROUBLE! Next go-around I'll just buy new fixtures.

Pop

woodworker2000

Christopher
Corporate Member
Here's a lesson: I paid $15 for the ballast & spent around 1 to 2 hours work. A new fixture would have cost me $20. IT'S NOT WORTH THE TROUBLE! Next go-around I'll just buy new fixtures.

That is always frustrating. You try to do the right thing for the environment by repairing instead of replacing but the price difference makes it hard to justify the effort.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
recently on a commercial job, we needed a very thin fixture as there was only a few inches between the grid and the ducts. I asked my electrician to get as thin a light as he could. We got a led light panel that was 2' x 4' x less than 1/2" thick and brighter than any tube fixture. These will soon be the norm, rather expensive now but they will come down fast

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
We use some in the plant, 1x2 inches by 8 feet long and super bright. But the cost is about $800 each.

jerrye

New User
Jerry
The costco LED fixtures for $35 are great for this. I just put two in my workspace and am saving up for more.

I have one of these installed in the wife's crafting room. I plan to replace the T12's in the garage with these. I recommend them highly.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
I'm still on T8's - its nice to know you guys are happy with the LEDs. Maybe they will replace those crappy CFLs in the near future. I am still amazed every time I go to purchase bulbs. It used to be simply but not anymore.

Never do anything during the day that will keep you awake at night

fulldec

New User
Don

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I got two of the fixtures from Costco and they are great, they put out a lot more light than I expected and were super easy to hang. I just screwed them to the ceiling and plugged them into a power strip. Now I have light at the far end of the shop over the table saw and i can still raise the garage door when I need to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS