Workbench Top Construction

AnotherJim

New User
Jim
I have some 1" thick rough-sawn oak boards. If I wanted to build a 3"-thick 15" x 70" workbench top from them, I think I could do it one of two ways: thickness plane to 3/4", then (1) cut 20 3" wide strips, turn them on their sides, and laminate into the desired top; or (2) cut 8 6" wide and 4 3" wide strips and laminate them, staggered, in 4 layers to get the desired top. The latter would seem to be easier. Or, would it? I'd appreciate advice and comments. Thanks.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
Mine is built like #2, but #1 is going to be easier.
IMG_1804(1).JPG
Be sure you've got the grain all oriented the same direction!!

Wilsoncb

Williemakeit
Corporate Member
For option 1, I would not pre-determine the thickness to be 3/4”. I always take what each board gives me to minimize waste. I plane down to flat and flaw free and typically get between 15/16“ and 13/16”. It might save you 1 board, or allow a wider bench with the same number of boards.

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
I bought a cheap 36x60" "butcher block style" kitchen table at a Habitat ReStore that I'm going to repurpose as a computer desk for my wife. I paid $35 or $40 for it. It appears to be 100% soft maple and about 5/4 in thickness.

This isn't it, but it looks just like it
1709243145917.png

This one is on Craigslist for $100 but I've seen them cheaper.

With nice legs and some bracing underneath I think it would make a serviceable bench.

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
I repurposed my old workbench top to be the top of a rolling shop cabinet I made. The top was made out of a sheet of 3/4" ply and oak flooring laminated together which is about 1-1/2" thick. I milled some more oak as edging which you can see of you look closely at the pic.

1709243582944.png

Pay no attention to the mess. It was only temporary. There is a different one there now.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
I built my top out of Maple using option #1 more than 30 years ago. Rock solid. If you want to make sure the boards never separate, run some 1/4" or 3/8" threaded rod through the sections about every 16-18". Then use a washer and nut on each end to pull them tight. Do this before you apply the final board on each side.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors