Woodwright's School and Tool Store Closing 2023

mdbuntyn

Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
I received an email today saying that Roy and Ed will be closing shop August 31, 2023.

From the email:
"The Woodwright's School and Tool Store will close the doors August 31, 2023. It is that time in our lives to move on to new adventures. The School started in 2009 and the Tool Store in 2010. We opened just after the Great Recession and are closing in the time of COVID, what a long strange trip it's been. It has been very special being part of The Woodwright's School staff after working 31 years at NIH. I never imagined being able to meet so many interesting people from around the world. We will be having classes next year and I want to keep the store open, at some capacity, for most of the time until we are closed. In keeping with our alcohol powered tradition, Anna's wine store will move into the school location on September 1, 2023."​

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
I talked w/Ed last week and knew this was coming. Sad to get the official announcement. Ed still has a lot of good tools. Get 'em before they're gone.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Sorry to hear it but I completely understand.
Inasmuch as I enjoyed the Extravaganza last weekend, I saw few attendees that weren't within ~10 years of my age group, telling me that the demographics for our skills are waning. I had a long rant ready to send on this but I decided to let someone else give their take on it.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Sorry to hear it but I completely understand.
Inasmuch as I enjoyed the Extravaganza last weekend, I saw few attendees that weren't within ~10 years of my age group, telling me that the demographics for our skills are waning. I had a long rant ready to send on this but I decided to let someone else give their take on it.
There is interest from a younger demographic, especially in some hand tool woodworking in specific communities. For example, the crowd that follows Mortise & Tenon magazine and I know there are younger followers of Chris Schwarz. It is hard to attract them to our forum and the Hickory show is so regional, you don't see them like you do at a woodworking in America or something like Handworks (Handworks 2023)

tarheelz

Dave
Corporate Member
Apologies for reviving a very old thread. With Roy shutting things down, do we know if Ed ever re-opened in another location?

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Apologies for reviving a very old thread. With Roy shutting things down, do we know if Ed ever re-opened in another location?
I don't think so but see post #9 and #11 in this thread:

It seems he is still doing something - maybe you can get to him through MWTCA???

What are you hunting for?

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS