Woodworking here has ceased

Status
Not open for further replies.

tdukes

New User
Eddie
It's cold!! Can't heat the warehouses to more than 50*. Ran two forced air 125K BTU propane heaters for most of the day. Its was a waste of fuel.

Was able to replace the front wheel bearings on my truck but about froze doing so.

Did send out a dado set , two combination blades, two rip blades out for sharpening, so I will be ready for a little warmer weather.

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
Yeah. The heater in my shop has been running a lot, too. It's -17°F here. Been colder than that. On the bright side, the mosquitoes are slow enough you can get out of their way. :D

Last edited:

Fishbucket

New User
Joe
I've been running a small ceramic heater (1250watt) full time the last 2 weeks in the shop. , 22x30. most mornings it gets down to 40degs. Then I run the Mr. Buddy heater I can get it up to 55-60 degs in a few hours. And be mostly comfortable.
Costing big bucks to keep the paint and glues from freezing.

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
My basement is heated up to 64 degrees twice a day, though it may drop as low as upper 50's.

On a side note, the thermometer in my crawlspace has not dropped below 48 degrees through all this cold snap.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Yeah. The heater in my shop has been running a lot, too. It's -17°F here. Been colder than that. On the bright side, the mosquitoes are slow enough you can get out of their way. :D

I'm a retired trucker Dave, and the first time I was up in the Iron Range area, I drove into this small town, and saw the friendliest I've ever come across; everybody was waving like mad at me, so I pulled over and got out. I immediately began to wildly wave back; the mosquitoes and black flies were so thick, you didn't dare open your mouth while breathing.

MichaelSC

New User
Michael
Ya same here. Not enough heat to keep it bearable. brought all the glues, adhesives, and the like in to keep from freezing. Thinking of building a heated box of sorts to store this stuff in. Thermostat controlled would be nice. any ideas?

Bear Republic

Steve
Corporate Member
Spent two yrs in MN as a kid. As a kid you don't mind it too much, but I did almost frostbite my toes playing hockey outside at about -20'. Good Times...

tdukes

New User
Eddie
I use Turner's Sharpening Service in Swansea, SC. Really reasonable and does an outstanding job.

I bought a sharpener from Harbor Freight. It does a good job for an occasional touch up. The last couple times though, not so good so I sent them out to be professionally done.

allisnut

Adam
Corporate Member
attachment.php

attachment.php

It took a few sticks of wood but the shop is now 65 degrees, up from 38 about five hours ago.

Attachments

• 72A29997-87F5-4773-8694-5B2FF4885B77.jpg
    72A29997-87F5-4773-8694-5B2FF4885B77.jpg
    339.5 KB · Views: 140
  • DADE271E-3C87-4DA2-BE58-CA45747D1771.jpg
    DADE271E-3C87-4DA2-BE58-CA45747D1771.jpg
    411.7 KB · Views: 141

mbromley

New User
Bromley
I pressed forward and got some work done in my shop aka 2 car garage today. Against my wife's judgement I just left the garage door open with a fan blowing the house heat into the garage for a while. Luckily the garage is insulated on 3 of the 5 sides and an insulated garage door.

dazart

New User
Steve
I used to have a wood stove like that when I lived in Pittsburgh. They crank out some heat.

I tried to do something in the garage today but didn't last too long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS