Wood Storage Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clifton

New User
Cliff
Is it ok to keep my wood in a shed in my back yard? it is not climate controlled but is rain free and water free. Shed is up on a concrete slab. Or should i keep it in a climate controlled building?

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
Is it ok to keep my wood in a shed in my back yard? it is not climate controlled but is rain free and water free. Shed is up on a concrete slab. Or should i keep it in a climate controlled building?

Is the wood "green" ? If so , I think outside under a shed is a good idea. Wood needs to air dry to about 17% before kiln drying I have been told. If it is kiln dried wood you are storing, inside a climate controlled place would be ideal. Just my opinion.

Jerry

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
I keep most of my wood in just such a shed. When I'm ready to use it, I bring it into the shop and let it acclimate for 10 - 14 days.

IMG_1551.JPG

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Like Bill, I also have wood storage racks in an outside carport protected on the sides and back with tarps. Seems to work fine - when I need to use wood that has been stored this way I bring it in the shop and let it acclimate as Bill does.

FlyingRon

Ron
I didn't have anything as elaborate as Ken or Bill, but I've stored stuff waiting to be milled on top of p.t. 4x4's with a tarp over it. You have to check it from time to time to make sure you're not housing "critters."

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
The ambient moisture of where the woodworking project goes should be considered. House trim or outside porch furniture will be one thing and indoors in a climate controlled environment is quite another. Wood for a bedroom chest of drawers should be at least 8%. That's not likely to happen with wood stored in a non-climate controlled building. Other projects such as tables can built at less risk because of no moving parts.

The best bet for long term satisfaction is to get a moisture meter and use it. You'll find that "grandaddy's barn" wood has dried down to the ambient (usually 14%±) and stayed that way for decades. Using that wood without acclimating it to the intended environment is risky. I've done it many times over the years and every now and then I've been bitten on the ankle by a single board that wants to twist and warp with the change in environment.

Wood that's kiln dried to 8% won't stay 8% if stored for any length of time in an environment that's not 8%. I really wish that were different.

Mike3ID

New User
Michael
Ground, concrete, and metal are all no no's.
Atmospheric moisture is one thing dew forming off of a conductor is another.
Just remember to acclimate before use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS