WOOD STORAGE BUILDING vs SHIPPING CONTAINER

Status
Not open for further replies.

dupont6480

New User
Tim
I had planned on building onto my shop with another building for wood storage until the other day. . . I met another woodworker who uses a 20 foot shipping container for his dry storage and is wanting to sell the container and get a 40 foot one.
Anyway the container already has built in racks, dry, good seals and what seems to be a very reasonable price. My question is do I go with the container or do I need to build another building or pole barn extension? What are the pros and cons of using containers and how do I prepare my property for the container? The price is lower if I go with the container. Thanks Tim

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Tim, if you go the container route you will need to leave a good dehumidifier running 7/24 in it, as the metal sides will condense moisture. The biggest problem with a container in ingress/egress. However for the $ it can be a good option.

You will want to place it on a level pad blocked up e couple of inches so that the doors will open.

Scott

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Tim, if you go the container route you will need to leave a good dehumidifier running 7/24 in it, as the metal sides will condense moisture. The biggest problem with a container in ingress/egress. However for the $ it can be a good option.

You will want to place it on a level pad blocked up e couple of inches so that the doors will open.

Scott
Scott. I know of a guy in NC who stores fresh cut lumber in a container like that. He actually put the container on a angle, door end lower than the back end so water would run out of the front. He produced some beautiful spalted lumber that way...

But your right on the dehumidifier its a must if your not after spalting and want to store kiln dried lumber in a container. Those containers get HOT in the summer.

dupont6480

New User
Tim
Scott,
Good to hear from you. Can you use this without a humidifier just to store kiln dried wood. No green lumber?

kooshball

David
Corporate Member
Just a thought, but maybe you could use some spray foam to insulate the container then run your dehumidifier / ac in a less condensation prone environment?

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Tim, you can use it w/o a dehumidifier but your lumber will increase its mc% up to 16%.

Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS