Wood species?

Ted P

Ted
Corporate Member
Attached are a few pics of wood trim at the daughter and son in laws home. I believe at least some is birch - such as the plywood. But there are more than one species.
The kids would like new bathroom vanities made, and I’m deciding what wood to use (matching stain is a whole other issue). Poplar might be easiest to obtain but grain may not be prominent enough. Birch of course is also a contender as at least plywood for the carcass would be available if not made from solid panels.
Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_5064.jpeg
    IMG_5064.jpeg
    949.5 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_5063.jpeg
    IMG_5063.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 100
  • IMG_5062.jpeg
    IMG_5062.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 105
  • IMG_5061.jpeg
    IMG_5061.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 100

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Looks like stained birch ply to me
Absolutely, but the solid wood is likely poplar. It takes the stain slightly differently. The casing species also looks like stained poplar. Basswood is another possibility. Its impossible to tell for sure until the stained areas are cleaned. The trim took a nail without splitting so harder woods are unlikely.

Ted P

Ted
Corporate Member
I think the trim and casing wood(s) are harder than the basswood I’m familiar with. I’ll probably just assume the wood is poplar and if energetic, make the exposed end a built up panel in frame, or also use birch plywood.

Thanks for the feedback.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors