Wood shed construction questions. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

dupont6480

New User
Tim
I want to put up a wood storage area next to the shop. . .
Do I build onto the existing shop? Do I purchase a 20 foot container? Or other ideas. . .
Please provide pros and cons of each. I also plan on putting my DC and Air Comp in the storage area and pipe into through the shop walls.
for those who don't know. I built a free standing shop 16x40'. I have plenty of room (5 acres) to build whatever. Also; if I build a pole barn type construction, or use a 20' shipping container etc. what prep work is required and is it required to place shelter on cinder blocks/railroad ties etc.
Thanks,
Tim

Last edited:

bwat

New User
Bill
Hello Tim. I'd suggest building a duplicate of your shop attached to the existing 40'wall. You can NEVER have too much storage or shop space!

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Tim I believe if you are sucking air out of the shop via dust collection you need to have an equal volume of return. This would either have to be outside air or back from your dust collection room. The problem comes in during heating and cooling seasons. If you have heat and AC in the shop I doubt you want to directly suck in air from the outside that has to be heated or cooled so you are better off putting a return in from the dust collection room. To make a long story short the two structures need to be connected.

dupont6480

New User
Tim
Thanks Bill and hope you are doing well. I am trying to cut costs. . . Does a wood storage shed require concrete deck? Can I use plastic, gravel and wood deck maybe instead? I would like to move DC and AC out there but main function is for addtional wood storage.

dupont6480

New User
Tim
Scott, Understand problem with air exchange. If I forgo the AC DC and focus on the wood storage issue; can I use a pole barn or storage container? I guess what I am asking is what is the minimum required for decent wood storage? Thanks,

bwat

New User
Bill
Sounds like you are trying to increase usable shop space by moving wood storage, DC etc. out of your way? I think many of us are in the same boat with that concern, especially those who have the "wood disease". I guess the question would be how dry is the wood to be stored? Is it already kiln dried or is this an air drying storage area?

to take care of the DC just build a closet attached to the outside wall of your building to put the DC in and then you will be able gain the space needed cut down on the noice and ease the emptying of the container...

cripto

New User
cripto
This might be a dumb question but are you looking to build a kiln so you can dry it or just straight up storage so you can bring the wood to a workable moisture level? When i think of storage i think of an area that is similar to temp and humidity as the environment i will be working the wood in. If i pull some wood into my shop i don't like the idea of waiting for it to setup or having to risk it moving much after i bring it in. If its for dying lumber i would move it to an area there it would not get shade. If its to store it i would build it onto the current building, insulate the inside and connect it to my shop so i can bring supplies in as simply as possible. But that is just my newbie viewpoint

SubGuy

New User
Zach
Go with a container and turn it into a DH Kiln. If you get a Refer Container it will already have a insulation. If not, that spray insulation with some frames to spray too and man you will make most here jealous. I had the pleasure of visiting one of these types of kilns and the guy had built it himself. He explained to me how he built it. It was quite intriguing.

dupont6480

New User
Tim
Looking for storage. Currently I store about 300 BF in my shop but I have started collecting a lot of turning blanks and such and the deck of the shop is starting to accumulate too much.
My goal is to have another wood storage area outside the shop for the rough lumber and green wood and keep the present storage in the shop of lumber I intend to use in the near future.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Tim,

VA Beach ehhh? My son and his family live at Atlantic Ave. & 69th St. Five acres up there is a gold mine.

So you want to store lumber under a covered area, free up shop space, and move the AC and DC out of the shop?

Here's a thought, but you'd have to check your local codes. Pea gravel or beach sand will make a fine floor for the wood storage area and you're going to move it into the shop as needed for acclimation before milling.

DuPont_storage.jpg

The pod at the right rear corner is for the AC and DC hookups. That'd be good on a concrete slab.

You want free air circulation around the stored wood so I would not put it in an enclosed trailer type box because you have too much humidity year round.

SubGuy

New User
Zach
Dehumidification (DH) Kiln. There is tons of info out there on them. If you get a large container, the DH units at retail stores will not do. If you decide to go that route, I can share some of the details he showed me and tricks to figuring things out. There are pros and cons to all kinds of kilns. The WW club I started up here is looking into building one sometime in the next 6 months. I think there are a few people here that have DH Kilns and they would probably be able to chime in. A lot of opportunities here.....

dupont6480

New User
Tim
Jeff,
Thanks for the response. I live in an area zoned agriculture; so building a pole barn as suggested is not a problem. I like your drawing and was looking at something similar.
Just did not know whether I could get away with only using sand and pea gravel or crush &run. My intent originally was to dig out a little, back fill with sand, cover with plastic and add the gravel. If I do not have to lay concrete that is good. I like the dedicated area you suggested for the DC / AC. Thanks again. Oh, I envy your son living down at the beach. We are in the Pungo area of Virginia Beach. My first choice was to live on some water; but could not afford in this area. Second choice was to have some land. We love it out here and I have been able to build a detached shop. Probably could not have done that done on the beach. Tim

dupont6480

New User
Tim
Zach, Thanks for the definition. I think at this point leaning more to: wood storage, low cost, and functional. I will talk to some of the woodworkers in the area though. Thanks,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS