Wood Romance

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
I recently used a wood on a project. I have used it before but only small pieces. The wood is called a lot of names. Sugi Pine, sometimes Japanese Cedar (Cryptomeria japonica). The wood is a conifer and considered a softwood. However is it harder than Walnut. In fact, this is another of those woods that is erroneously mis-named. The tree is a distinct genus and really is a type of Cypress.

The wood usually has white outer wood with streaks of pinkish red to totally pinkish red in the center at the sap wood.
It is a blast to use sand, and a lot like Walnut. It smells like when you break or trim geranium flowers when cutting with a strong citrus spicy aroma, (probably why it is often referenced as a cedar). The grain is similar to cedar and this wood has its own type of oil in it that makes feel slick after sanding like teak. We were using as a trim. Also the Janka is 1410 and it is strong and flexible like yellow pine but not as bendy as say Doug fir.

Now I have to find someone who has more of this stuff I ended up with 2 extra boards and make something to post.

Cool stuff - keep an eye out for it.

Attachments

• Sugi (1).jpg
    Sugi (1).jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 84
  • sugi (5).jpg
    sugi (5).jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 71
  • sugi (6).jpg
    sugi (6).jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 69

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Shore looks like a cedar to me - but I am no expert. Sounds like a fun material.
With the oily nature, have you have any issue with finishing it - and if not, what did you use?

Reactions: Oka

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
We ran trim and top caps. I haven't made up my mind what to do with the 2 boards yet about 5-6 bd ft worth

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS