Wood Movement Question

HITCH-

Hitch
Corporate Member
Good Day,
Some friends had a custom table made out of gum wood a bit over a year ago. I have never worked with gum.
20230427_143032.jpg

The surface has moved and there are now raised ridged where the arrows are.
My guess is that the moisture content in the wood was too high when the table was made.
I was surprised that it has not had other issues because the stretchers (2x4s) are screwed from the bottom directly into the tabletop without figure 8 fasteners or anything else to allow for movement.
The "craftsman" that made the table has not replied to any of their phone calls.
Is there something else that could have caused this and what is the fix?
My inital thought is to allow it enough time to reduce the moisture content, sand it down, refill the epoxy and refinish the top.
What are your thoughts?
Thanks

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
It's sweet gum. Burn it 🔥. Oh wait, sweet gum doesn't burn well either. I would remake the top with a more suitable wood and use figure 8s to attach. YMMV

HITCH-

Hitch
Corporate Member
I had another thought. One of the 2x4 stretchers runs perpendicular to the damaged area under the table. Is it possible that the wood swelled up since it wasn't able to move?

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
It was not attached correctly. Possible it's do to that, can't be sure, but the first thing you need to do is remove the stretchers and reattach them correctly.

Bulges are usually caused by cupping. Which is a little strange b/c if anything the top would shrink and split if not attached correctly.

But that area has some gnarly grain in it, since some cracks have already been filled with epoxy. I'm going to say there is a continuation of that process going on that's causing a section of wood to split and raise up.

Bottom line: fix the attachment, live with it if you can.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
All gum trees deserve to be killed as infants. They make a mess, all their lives, and the wood is close to useless. The top may not have been dried adequately but doing something stupid like that is totally not surprising for gum. It is not at all stable, not very strong, etc. etc.

I've used them but 2x4s or other construction lumber is also not a great way to get wood for furniture. The moisture content should be below 20% but we want well below 10% for furniture. It's going to shrink more because it is going to continue to dry out. If the base has been inside for a year or so it may be dry now. It is possible that the slightly wet 2x4 fastened hard to the top was also at least a contributing cause.

Melinapex

Mark
Corporate Member
Could be a number of things going on..... am thinking I might put in a butterfly or two - maybe that would help keep it stable? Then re-flatten, then re- epoxy.... then re-do the stretchers/connection... then re-finish.....
Might be better to take that entire chunk out and pour an epoxy lake......
In any case this will be a lot of work, or I guess technically it's re-work....

Wilsoncb

Williemakeit
Corporate Member
I don’t see how it’s possible to make an assessment based off the information provided. To be fair to the craftsman, there is more information that they would only be able to provide. Having said that, I would do everything possible to contact them. If you can confirm they are available but won’t communicate, then it’s fair game.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Some friends just told me they have a big sweet gum that needs to come down, asked me if I want some of the wood. I already have 400 bf I can’t use nor give away.

I asked them if they had any ravines they could fill.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Some friends just told me they have a big sweet gum that needs to come down, asked me if I want some of the wood. I already have 400 bf I can’t use nor give away.

I asked them if they had any ravines they could fill.
Lol!

HITCH-

Hitch
Corporate Member
Another factor I failed to mention is that the table is in an outdoor screened in porch year round.

Interesting idea that 2x4s with a high moisture content may have kept things stable for a while.

I agree that the top needs to be removed and mounted to the base in a way that allows for wood movement. The moisture content should also be determined.

It's going to be a good bit of work to sand, fill and refinish the top. Since they don't know what the finish is they may have to refinish the entire tabletop.

I feel bad for them in that the guy who made the table is ghosting them. His knowledge of the build would make the approach to the repair less complicated.

Echd

C
User
Having never used sweet gum, I'm still aware of the poor reputation of it in woodworking. It is an odd choice, especially as an epoxy filled table. Was that their idea?

The picture makes it look like the table is on their back deck or patio. If that is the case some wood movement should be expected.

It is unfortunate the builder is not being helpful.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS