Wood ID?

Flute Maker

Mike
User
I found this piece already cut lying on a narrow road behind my house. It is pretty straight not perfect but usable . It is a little over 5’ long and 3 1/2” in diameter.. What wood type? I’m sure the wood is rather plain.

Attachments

• 4DE70F96-D50B-4683-86E7-FAFFD3E8EE07.jpeg
    4DE70F96-D50B-4683-86E7-FAFFD3E8EE07.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 140
  • 9777D5B6-EA58-4AC7-B0A7-284309926AAA.jpeg
    9777D5B6-EA58-4AC7-B0A7-284309926AAA.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 142

John Jimenez

JJ
Corporate Member
I figured based on your handle but didn’t want to assume. Can you use green wood to make flutes? Send some WIP pics please!

Flute Maker

Mike
User
I figured based on your handle but didn’t want to assume. Can you use green wood to make flutes? Send some WIP pics please!
Using green wood is more work. This piece is large than I usually do. But I would cut a piece a little longer than needed then after prepping work for lathe I would bore the size hole needed through the flute blank. Then mount between centers, and turn it getting it to general shape removing excess wood but leave it a little oversized. Then Iusually coat the blank like you would any bowl turned using green wood….and do anything else you do on a green wood turned bowl…Maybe put in a bag
of chips or wrap in brown paper bag….anything so it doesn’t dry too quickly …..Definitely more work … Then sit it aside …I wait until moisture is down to maybe 12% but usually by the time I get to it it is even lower. Sometimes one will warp a little but if you have left it a little oversize it will still work…..Now that wood is dry the flute work can start….I don’t have any WIP pics….(You have to love making flutes to do this…can be a consumer of time lol)

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS