Wood ID

Cuthriell

Cuthriell
Senior User
Does this look familiar to anyone? I was thinking it is walnut that is very hard. Very. But am now wondering if it might be something else. I have rosewood boards that are similarly hard but much lighter in color. The board has been in a stack of walnut for maybe 40 years and never used because of defects. I am trying to use up some of the old stuff like this for boxes etc.
1655330591047.png

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
Here is a pic of some walnut that has air dried for about 35 years and has been squirted with acetone. BTW, it is noticeably harder than modern KD walnut.
C22B93FF-16E6-4B2C-9F8F-2239AE35EFDD.jpeg

Craptastic

Matt
Corporate Member
I have some Brazillian cherry that looks quite similar. Hardest damn stuff around. Is that finished or unfinished?

Cuthriell

Cuthriell
Senior User
It has a coat of shellac. Years ago I got wood (backing boards) from a neighbor that worked for a log importer (veneering plant) so it might have come from there and be anything. It does look a lot like the picture pop pop posted. But when I say hard, I mean really hard. It works well but was slow to resaw.

Craptastic

Matt
Corporate Member
It has a coat of shellac. Years ago I got wood (backing boards) from a neighbor that worked for a log importer (veneering plant) so it might have come from there and be anything. It does look a lot like the picture pop pop posted. But when I say hard, I mean really hard. It works well but was slow to resaw.
Slow to resaw could very well be Brazillian cherry. That stuff is so hard it's ridiculous.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors