Wood ID.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davebrad

New User
Dave
It may be a long shot but it worked last time. Can anyone tell me what kind of wood this is looks to be an exotic.
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• 142B610F-AAE4-42A0-B578-997CC63DDBFA.jpeg
    142B610F-AAE4-42A0-B578-997CC63DDBFA.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 325

Davebrad

New User
Dave
It has those brown spots the kind of reminded me of oil stains but it maybe sap. It does not leave a residue when you touch it but it does have a different texture then the rest of the wood. Is mahogany like that sometimes? I haven’t ever worked with it.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
It has those brown spots the kind of reminded me of oil stains but it maybe sap. It does not leave a residue when you touch it but it does have a different texture then the rest of the wood. Is mahogany like that sometimes? I haven’t ever worked with it.

It does not leave a residue when you touch it but it does have a different texture then the rest of the wood.

What did you start with? Do you have any pictures of the wood before turning the bowl? Maybe the areas that have the different texture are the result of spalting caused by fungi. ???????

Davebrad

New User
Dave
What did you start with? Do you have any pictures of the wood before turning the bowl? Maybe the areas that have the different texture are the result of spalting caused by fungi. ???????
No I do not it was already cut into a circular blank when I got it.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
No I do not it was already cut into a circular blank when I got it.

Ok, this is like pulling teeth! How are we supposed to help you identify the wood from a few pictures and what few facts that you've given us.

1. Oh, it's a piece of wood and I think it's an exotic species but I have no idea how I got it or where it came from. Help please!

Can you please tell us where you got the circular blank? Bought it somewhere from John Doe the exotic wood dealer in Tennessee or a friend from Australia sent it to you?

Last edited:

Davebrad

New User
Dave
Sorry for the lack of info I thought I posted it but it came from a lot I bought. I got a lathe from a older man and the wood came with it. It was in the same batch as the katalox but There where many types of wood some domestic some exotic. I assumed it may be exotic I just thought I would ask because it worked with the katalox.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Sorry for the lack of info I thought I posted it but it came from a lot I bought. I got a lathe from a older man and the wood came with it. It was in the same batch as the katalox but There where many types of wood some domestic some exotic. I assumed it may be exotic I just thought I would ask because it worked with the katalox.

That's fine Dave. I was simply trying to extract some information from you about your wood stash from wherever you got it.

NTCook

New User
Nick
It has a slight odor but it isn't unpleasant. I make sure to use my best dust collection when I work it. The two times I was lazy about the dust I had sore throat for 2-3 days after and now I make sure the dust collector filters are freshly cleaned as well as a shopvac on hand with the overhead air cleaner running.:thumbs_up

Davebrad

New User
Dave
It has a slight odor but it isn't unpleasant. I make sure to use my best dust collection when I work it. The two times I was lazy about the dust I had sore throat for 2-3 days after and now I make sure the dust collector filters are freshly cleaned as well as a shopvac on hand with the overhead air cleaner running.:thumbs_up
I didn’t notice a smell when I was working with it I did have a mask on though. Thanks for the info. What kind of dust collection system you have?

NTCook

New User
Nick
Just the cheapster's typical kit: the Harbor Freight 2HP plumbed to all of my tools, Shopvacs for smaller tools, and a 1/3 HP Shopfox air cleaner. None of them are marvelous tools, but all together they keep me happy enough. Oh, there's an Oneida cyclone plumbed into the dust collector as well.

Davebrad

New User
Dave
Just the cheapster's typical kit: the Harbor Freight 2HP plumbed to all of my tools, Shopvacs for smaller tools, and a 1/3 HP Shopfox air cleaner. None of them are marvelous tools, but all together they keep me happy enough. Oh, there's an Oneida cyclone plumbed into the dust collector as well.
That’s bout the same as what I have I don’t have any plumbing I have to switch between machines. I’ll add some eventually I need to finish my shop first though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS