Wood / fresh log availability in Raleigh?

Mmkmm226

Matt
User
Anyone know if there is place in Raleigh where you can go grab some wood from downed trees for bowl turning ? Something like a landfill were contractors dump removed trees? I want to use the wood for word turnings / bowls.

SabertoothBunny

SabertoothBunny
Corporate Member
Watch facebook marketplace or craig's list, a lot of time people will post in there to come and get the wood, often for free. Another thing I do is just watch the area I drive through and if I see downed wood and I can I will stop to inquire about getting some.

buckaroo

Buck
User
I guess this is no help to Raleigh residents, but the City of Durham has a wood yard on Glenn Road where Durham residents can apply for access. If you Google "Durham Woodyard" you'll find a link to it.

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Just drive around. Trees down all over. Just a knock on the door is all it takes usually. What species are you wanting?

RobS.

Robert Slone
Senior User
I have some large pecan that was cut about 2 months ago from my neighbor's yard. I got the folks who cut it to dump it on the edge of our woods. I plan to cut it up for firewood. If you're interested I'll ride back there and check it out. I've got to cut it up before the weather gets hot. I also have some kind of tree in my yard that needs to come down. The bark looks a lot like maple but I don't think that's what it is. I'm about 40 minutes from Raleigh.

Mmkmm226

Matt
User
Thanks for the offer ! How large a diameter is the pecan tree? And how much is there ( honesty I would only want 6 log sections or so at most)

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
I have some poplar in Cary. Makes some very nice bowls. A tree service is also dropping some large trees along 401 in Garner. Not sure what species but there hardwood

Last edited:

RobS.

Robert Slone
Senior User
There are trunk logs and large limb logs. The largest trunk log is well over 30" diameter and about 8' long. Looks like a half dozen or so logs well over 20" diameter, the longest is about 14' long. My saw only has an 18" bar so I'm not sure how much of this I will be able to cut. There is also a hugh trunk log from the upper part of the tree where all the limbs were. It's well over 40" diameter.
We can use my saw to cut what you want if you want any unless you have a bigger saw (mine is a Stihl 025).
The tree in my yard has 2 trunks about 8 to 10 inches in diameter. It's still standing but it needs to come down.

Mmkmm226

Matt
User
Rob, just so you know I would be interested in the 20 inch diameter logs … I only would want up to 8 logs about 20 inches long so I can put them on my lathe (18 inch max) . If you’re ok with this I would be glad to drive out to cut and load them into my suburban. (I have a 18” chainsaw too and will bring it). Where are you located btw?

Matt

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Contact a few tree services. They have to pay to dispose of them. As they mainly deal with residential customers, be careful with imbedded metal, rocks, glass, and other things that will ruin your blades/tooling.

RobS.

Robert Slone
Senior User
You are welcome to get what you want. I'm 2 1/2 miles south of Spring Hope on NC Highway 581, 1 1/2 miles south of 64 bypass. Very easy to get to. I'm retired so I'm home most of the time.

Mmkmm226

Matt
User
You are welcome to get what you want. I'm 2 1/2 miles south of Spring Hope on NC Highway 581, 1 1/2 miles south of 64 bypass. Very easy to get to. I'm retired so I'm home most of the time.
Is there a time that works best for you? Maybe today or this weekend or even sometime next week?

RobS.

Robert Slone
Senior User
Is there a time that works best for you? Maybe today or this weekend or even sometime next week?
PM me and I'll send you my address and phone number. It's a bit messy today due to the rain. Sometime tomorrow (Sunday) will work.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors