Wixey digital angle gauge

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
Noticed that edges from my table saw and jointer were not square after setting the machines to 90 degrees with a Wixey WR300.

Wrote to Wixey asking if there was a tweak screw to restore the accuracy.

Here is part of his response:

First, the accuracy of the gauge is only 0.2 degrees to start with. These gauges are ideal for odd angle cuts, however they will never be as accurate as a square for checking 90.0 degrees.

Bummer!

Back to square one!:(

Charlie Buchanan

Charlie
Corporate Member
There is a “zero” button on my Wixey. I zero it on the saw table each time I use it. Have been very happy with it’s accuracy.

Wiley's Woodworks

Wiley
Corporate Member
Noticed that edges from my table saw and jointer were not square after setting the machines to 90 degrees with a Wixey WR300.

Wrote to Wixey asking if there was a tweak screw to restore the accuracy.

Here is part of his response:

First, the accuracy of the gauge is only 0.2 degrees to start with. These gauges are ideal for odd angle cuts, however they will never be as accurate as a square for checking 90.0 degrees.

Bummer!

Back to square one!:(
You have just brought up an age old problem--setting exact angles on tools, whether power or hand. Just because something is digital to the .00 doesn't mean it's PERFECTLY accurate, and Wixey admits to it. Woodworkers and machinists have had the same problems with their squares--are they exactly accurate? The answer more often than we like is "No". Squares can get dropped, banged around, and the adjustable combination squares with the screw tensioner for the blade are notorious for shifting and going out of square unless you spend $120+ for a high end Starrett. I finally found a suitable and cheap solution for squaring my table saw, miter guides, miter saw, router bits, and drill press. A plastic draftsman's triangle. I've never had one that wasn't a perfect 90, 60,45, or 30 degrees. When you are squaring a saw make sure the triangle edge is flush on the blade for the entire length and not resting on a tooth which will be wider than the blade.

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
I finally found a suitable and cheap solution for squaring my table saw, miter guides, miter saw, router bits, and drill press. A plastic draftsman's triangle. I've never had one that wasn't a perfect 90, 60,45, or 30 degrees.

Seems like a plastic triangle would also be relatively immune to losing accuracy due to a drop.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I keep a couple drafting triangles (plastic) in the shop for setup. Occasionally I have to retrieve them from another room if I've been using my old parallel board to sketch up something.

Jeff

New User
Jeff

How did you suspect that they weren't square on both machines? How did you determine that they weren't square after using the Wixey?

I've never had one that wasn't a perfect 90, 60,45, or 30 degrees.

How did you determine that they were a perfect 90, 60, 45, or 30 degrees?

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
How did you suspect that they weren't square on both machines? How did you determine that they weren't square after using the Wixey?

First notice was boards not square against the rip fence after jointing (i.e. a gap between the top edge of a board and TS rip fence). Confirmed non-squareness with an engineers square applied to both the fences and board edges.

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
My go-to shop standard for very accurate squareness is a heavy duty brass 30/60 drafting triangle. I don't use it for general use to keep it safe.

Pop :)

Jeff

New User
Jeff
First notice was boards not square against the rip fence after jointing (i.e. a gap between the top edge of a board and TS rip fence). Confirmed non-squareness with an engineers square applied to both the fences and board edges.

So scrap the Wixey gauge and use your engineer's square to set the fences and see if that helps.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Already done!

Ok, let us know what you find out when you test the new method. The Wixey is accurate to +/- 0.2 degrees (they claim). Will your new method improve that to +/- 0 degrees for whatever angles that you want? How will you know that you're dead on now?

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors