WIP and band saw safety question

John Jimenez

JJ
Corporate Member
I bought 80 dollars with of 2xs from big box store and wanted to make three sturdy rocking horses for my brothers grand kids. Got the plans off interweb and printed up patterns and made templates out of 1/4” plywood (trying to scale the pattern was trickiest part). Almost finished with the first horse….just need to put in walnut plugs in screw holes and another couple coats of lacquer. I have parts cut and sanded to 80 grit for the other two horses.

Band saw safety question….I finally had my first band saw place brake on me. It is a 1/4” blade on my 9” PC bandsaw. It broke at a point I wasn’t even putting much stress on the blade. My question is…..has anyone ever been injured or heard of injuries from bandsaw blade breaking? When this one broke, it made a hell of a loud pop but the end above the table just sat there but it got me curious if it’s ever dangerous when a blade breaks. Thoughts?

Attachments

• 1694CF2E-5E15-4AE7-BC18-FF89235AC3B3.jpeg
    1694CF2E-5E15-4AE7-BC18-FF89235AC3B3.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 105
  • F0ECC325-CC0E-4676-A5B3-7F99C1259CDA.jpeg
    F0ECC325-CC0E-4676-A5B3-7F99C1259CDA.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 108
  • 7B258FA6-B83F-495F-83F3-478A5CFC05CA.jpeg
    7B258FA6-B83F-495F-83F3-478A5CFC05CA.jpeg
    930.1 KB · Views: 104

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Blades break. All the time. Things like 2 x 4's with a lot of moisture and sap can really heat up a blade. Scary, but never heard of an injury. I guess if your fingers are too close, it could snag a little bit.

Wilsoncb

Williemakeit
Corporate Member
I guess the good thing is, when the blade breaks it stops. As long as your heart doesn’t stop from the sudden shock you should be OK.😬

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
One word of caution: Wait long enough to be absolutely certain that the upper wheel is stopped. Then you can open the covers and examine. While this isn't such a big risk on 14" and below band saws, larger band saws with big wheels will spin for a good while. You don't want a spinning wheel grabbing a loose blade and whipping it around in the open.

Consider that a 9" saw bends and unbends a blade over a 4-1/2" radius twice per revolution. This can work harden a poorly tempered blade and make it as brittle as a pretzel stick.

Echd

C
User
I've had two break. I don't think an injury is particularly likely. At worst maybe a cut, and probably not a bad one. When mine broke it had the immediate effect of startling the heck out of me, but the blade never went outside of the guards in any manner to cause me injury.

awldune

Sam
User
One of the many great :rolleyes: things about a three-wheeled bandsaw is you get to experience a lot of broken blades. I have also broken two on a regular 2-wheeler. The blade always just stops.

bainin

New User
bainin
They snap loudly, but blade rotation (atleast for me) just stops. Once the tension is gone on the blade, there is nothing holding it against the wheel to continue to follow.

I once accidently turned on my BS at tablesaw speeds 900rpm vs 3450rpm (shopsmith) ...that was quite exciting ..didnt break the blade though :)

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
In 35 years I can’t remember one breaking ??
the smaller the wheel, the more stress. Use of strong-back blades. Cheap blades...
I have only broken one on my C-14. No drama. I broke several on the three-wheel and 12 inch Delta. Again, no drama, just some choice words.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS