Windsor chair seat blanks

Mountain City Bill

Mountain City Bill
Corporate Member
I am getting ready to mill up some Eastern white pine . I was thinking of milling some 9/4 for seat blanks.

Is there much demand for seat blanks?
Is the preference to have rift sawn, plain sawn or quarter sawn blanks?

I don't know if I will be able to get any full sized blanks in one piece. The quarter sawn and rift sawn will definitely not be full blanks.
Most likely, the pieces will be 7 - 10 inches wide.
I live in Mountain City, TN.

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
I have always wanted to build a Windsor chair but the seat is not my deterrent. Splitting out the back from a green log is the challenge for me. I would actually prefer to make everything from Cherry or Walnut as opposed to pine and oak or hickory then finishing with milk paint

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
I have always wanted to build a Windsor chair but the seat is not my deterrent. Splitting out the back from a green log is the challenge for me. I would actually prefer to make everything from Cherry or Walnut as opposed to pine and oak or hickory then finishing with milk paint
Before you go ahead with the project, try getting some tools and work the hardwood seats. Pine was used for the seats for a couple reasons but primarily for the ease of the work of shaping itl You can use hardwood but then you'll need to use power toolling to get any where. The windsor chair can teach you a good lesson: Do it like the guys before you got the idea. They weren't just lazy, they knew what made sense to complete a chair. The second reason for a soft seat is that it is light weight when moving the chair out from the table.

Attachments

• 100_0123.JPG
    100_0123.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 24
  • 100_0125.JPG
    100_0125.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 24
  • DW 2 xhIE.jpg
    DW 2 xhIE.jpg
    237.8 KB · Views: 24

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors