Will this work on a drum sander?

Robert166

robert166
Corporate Member
Love this sandpaper, and wonder if any of it would work on a drum sander. Think maybe the backing may be to thin. Just wondering.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
I don't think so mainly b/c dust collection is not flow thru like a sander and I'd be worried the paper will clog. OTOH if you had fantastic DC it might keep it clean enough, but I think you'd have to do frequent rubber erasers.

Also, seem to me there is also a lot less sandpaper per square inch. I buy my drum rolls (and all my sanding supplies) from Industrial Abrasives. Their Rhino line of discs are great. The Rhinogrip foam sanding pads are also great.

I've tried Cubitron after watching the Katz Moses video and for me, I seem to gravitate back to my regular sandpaper. I didn't think they lasted as long and the mesh seemed to clog easily, especially the finer grits.

One of Cubitron's selling points is dust collection, but my thinking is sanders have several holes for DC so is there any real advantage to having mesh, which 95% is covered by the pad? I dunno..................

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
My little drum sander (Sand Flea) does take hook and loop rolls. I would not want the expense of replacing the roll if this goes through. I have used this type with my 6” RO sander without problems.

HITCH-

Hitch
Corporate Member
I would contact both the manufacturers of your drum sander abd of the paper and see what they tell you.

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
^^^^
Agree with Bill. Hook and loop will slip on the drum, resulting in the paper climbing onto itself.

mpeele

michael
User
There are drum sanders that use hook and loop. When looking for a hook and loop conversion for my 12" disc sander I found some for drum sanders.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
@mpeele is right there are conversion kits. I got one from Grizzly I believe. It worked fine. Hook and loop on a drum sander works as long as the loop part is adhered to the drum.

The bad thing is it’s impossible to remove once it’s stuck on. At least the one I had.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
There are drum sanders that use hook and loop. When looking for a hook and loop conversion for my 12" disc sander I found some for drum sanders.
I think Willem et all are saying that not ALL hook and loop backings are suitable for a drum sander.

You typically see E-and F-weight paper backing and X-weight cloth for drum sanders (including hook and loop ones).

3M makes Cubitron with some of those backing-weights but no idea about this particular style from the OPs post. It’s not mentioned in the ad, so I think he’s right to be concerned the backing may be too thin for a drum sander.

-Mark

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors