Wide ash supplier?

Status
Not open for further replies.

joec

joe
User
I want to build the blanket chest featured in last months Fine Woodworking. It has 5/4x10" ash panels and the top is a one piece 5/4 x16"x4'. I have called around 5 various suppliers including The Hardwood Store and have not found it yet. I may have to do a glue up for the top, but I do not have to do this immediately because it is for my wife (who loves the look of the one piece top).Any ideas who would have this?

Don Sorensen

New User
Butch
Have you called East Wake Hardwood in Zebulon? I don't know about maple, but he had widths of some woods suitable for conference tables.

joec

joe
User
Good Hope Hardwoods in Pa. has it, but you have to buy 100 bd ft, (the whole tree it comes from) and it is $16 bd ft. I like the blanket chest but not that well. I will keep trying. The good thing is I have the lumber in another species, but my wife really like the light color of the ash against the darker color hickory. The ash if the killer here. I may try cypress as the next option.

Marlin

New User
Marlin
If you like/want the light color how about white oak?

Bigger market it seems for oak then ash, but i do like ash alot. Esp QS Ash

Marlin

New User
Marlin
Also get a wide 8/4 and have it resawn (bookmatch) and use that? Only 1 glue up but will not differ to much in grain.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
You need that wide ash kiln dried, don't want no wet wide ash right?
You looking for wide white ash, wide black ash or wide green ash?

Kyle

New User
Kyle Edwards
Ash out there, I can get as much ash as you want but the main supplier does random widths which is probably why most wood dealers don't want to commit to supplying you with all 10" stock.

If you buy it sorted for width you will pay a lot more= more handling.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
But, you want the top to be 16 inches wide then the rest of it can be 10 inch or less? Some 10 inch for panels and some less for frames?

And how soon do you need it?

Does anybody have 16 inch wide white oak?

If you can wait a few months maybe Scott Smith will have wide boards in oak.

Kyle

New User
Kyle Edwards
But, you want the top to be 16 inches wide then the rest of it can be 10 inch or less? Some 10 inch for panels and some less for frames?

And how soon do you need it?

Does anybody have 16 inch wide white oak?

If you can wait a few months maybe Scott Smith will have wide boards in oak.

Can you take it green? how thick?

joec

joe
User
Thanks for all the replies. I will keep the search, I knew when my wife told me she wanted it just like it was in the picture, I was going to struggle getting the one piece top. White Oak may be the next search, I could probably just tell her it was ash:mrgreen:

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
How do you plan to prep a 16" wide board? Most boards that wide will have cup, twist, etc and will need to be face jointed and planed. >16" jointers are pretty rare.
I have a #8 Stanley and some canned spinach if you need it:wsmile:.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS