Why to not use a cheap router

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monty

New User
Monty
Yep. I've got a sink washer in the collet of my m12v right now! Works great! :icon_thum

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
insomniac said:
Yep. I've got a sink washer in the collet of my m12v right now! Works great! :icon_thum

Monty, is the washer down inside the collet or are you talking about placing an "O" ring type washer around the shaft of the router bit. I heard the "O" ring technique works well also.

D L

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
I guess I missed that safety feature in the manual. Thanks for the information, husband didn't know this either. Will keep this in mind in the future. Will also turn to the tablesaw or table router next time I need to cut dado's in a panel. Thanks again for teaching me something new. Router question while we are discussing routers. Can you make a template that will fit your present router and incorporate it into a tabletop for a router? What I see in catalogs tends to be confusing.

M

McRabbet

lwhughes149 said:
Router question while we are discussing routers. Can you make a template that will fit your present router and incorporate it into a tabletop for a router? What I see in catalogs tends to be confusing.

Most routers have a phenolic base that is only slightly larger than the metal frame, so there is no way to secure it into a routed out opening in the table top. In addition, because of the significant torque that occurs between the router and the wood being cut, a round hole (again a common shape for many router bases like the Porter-Cable family) might allow the router to rotate. Most of the commercially available bases are rectangular and some have pre-drilled holes or templates to accept the more popular router base hole patterns. In almost every case, the router base plate is removed and the router affixed to the table plate using the stock base screws. Secondary screws or hold-downs secure the plate to the table. HTH.

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS