Why not cut the edges off first?

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
This is what I use and I have a band saw....

PXL_20220603_014657514.jpg

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Lyle Jamieson has a video on balancing and turning rough stock and turning between centers that might be helpful.

Melinapex

Mark
Corporate Member
I have a set of carbide tools but after doing a couple of spindles was thinking maybe I would get a better result with traditional tools. Klingspor has a decent looking set for a reasonable cost and I wondered if anyone in the group had tried them?

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
If you don't do anything but turning it may be more economical to buy the carbide system instead of grinders and grinding jigs. Just a thought.
That could imply that the carbide tipped tools are going to be suitable for spindle turning also. That may be a flawed assumption.
Before buying carbide tools, sort of sharpen the end of an old screwdriver and try turning with that. That should give some idea what carbide tools will be like to use.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
That could imply that the carbide tipped tools are going to be suitable for spindle turning also. That may be a flawed assumption.
Before buying carbide tools, sort of sharpen the end of an old screwdriver and try turning with that. That should give some idea what carbide tools will be like to use.
I started with a sharpened screw driver. In my opinion it worked better than the carbide tools I have used. I think carbide is ok for rough turning but the scraping action can not achieve the same smooth finish that a traditional cutting tool can. Learning to ride the bevel and cut with a shearing action can give you a polished surface.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
As usual Klingspor has the best price and you get 10% off if you are Discount Qualified here.
$299

RichardH

New User
Richard
Hahah. Wow. Nearly $500. If I ever turn, I'll definitely start with HF to see if I like it enough to invest in nice tools.
I did the same thing and the HF tools are not horrible starter tools. I find the handles a bit short for my tastes but they are usable. I keep a fine diamond honing paddle near the lathe and touched up the edges often. More so than I do with the Sorby's I replaced them with but for the price it's a good starter set.

If you do decide to get started turning and are in the Raleigh/Durham area I will give you a good price on the HF set I have if you like as I really don't need them anymore.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I did the same thing and the HF tools are not horrible starter tools. I find the handles a bit short for my tastes but they are usable. I keep a fine diamond honing paddle near the lathe and touched up the edges often. More so than I do with the Sorby's I replaced them with but for the price it's a good starter set.

If you do decide to get started turning and are in the Raleigh/Durham area I will give you a good price on the HF set I have if you like as I really don't need them anymore.
I must admit I have no experience with insert tools or carbides so I must defer to those that have. As for maintaining a sharp chisel, I think Earl Rasmussen had the best idea I've seen. He mounted and trued an MDF disc to the rear of his headstock and applied buffing rouge to it so he could have a ready way to touch up his chisels. BTW, anyone hear from him lately?

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
I must admit I have no experience with insert tools or carbides so I must defer to those that have. As for maintaining a sharp chisel, I think Earl Rasmussen had the best idea I've seen. He mounted and trued an MDF disc to the rear of his headstock and applied buffing rouge to it so he could have a ready way to touch up his chisels. BTW, anyone hear from him lately?
Earl posted one of his segmented turnings on Wed of this week...

https://ncwoodworker.net/forums/index.php?threads/new-turning-open-segment.75825/

Good to hear he is still turning really nice work!

Last edited:

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have a set of carbide tools but after doing a couple of spindles was thinking maybe I would get a better result with traditional tools. Klingspor has a decent looking set for a reasonable cost and I wondered if anyone in the group had tried them?
I purchased a set of Crown tools from Klingspor several years ago, and have added a few more to them along the way. They are a good set of turning tools.

Dee2

Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
For "sharp" carbide tools, consider Hunter. I get shavings with Mike's tools, not scrapings. YMMV. Some of the tools have a greater learning curve than others. They are not designed for detailed work but you can get a smooth bowl with practice. I also have several skews, gouges, etc., and use them all. FWIW, I've developed a preference for Turner's Edge over Thompson.

djvanduy

New User
Jason
I assume your talking about spindle turning? In that case cutting the corners is just about managing the waste, I don't know of any advantage to leave them on in spindle turning. So its probably just preference.

Larger hollow turning or face grain turning I know a number of people who would leave the corners on though those people tend to mount in a way where the piece runs out of balance so they can cut out knots or cracks in the wood. I personally tend to knock the corners off even on large blanks, but that is my preference.

petebucy4638

Pete
Corporate Member
Makes perfect sense... IF you have a bandsaw.
One of my next-door neighbors used to cut the corners off his turning blanks with a reciprocating saw. He used an electric chain saw for the larger blanks. His bench-top bandsaw was too small for many of the blanks that he turned. I, too, have watched the YouTube videos where large square corners are knocked off with a bowl gouge.

Dee2

Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
For >= 2" square spindles you should be able to go from square to round in ~30 seconds per foot of length with a skew not counting time to move the tool rest.

Warren

Warren
Corporate Member
The only "name" tool I have is Sorry 1 1\2" roughing gouge. I have some Penn State & Highland Hardware skews and gouges I'm happy with. I use Woodworkers Wonders sharpening set up and found that to give outstanding results. As Dennis implied, sharpening is very important.

iclark

Ivan
User
For starter tools, Benjamin Best seem on about a par with the Woodriver.

A good parting tool is a great investment if you want to do Christmas ornaments or most spindle turnings. The thin blade Sorby is decent and helps with doing honey dippers and related Christmas Tree ornaments. I would suggest sticking with the plane rectangular blade (as opposed to the one with a groove/cup on one edge) until you have some experience.

The suggestions above are good. I would add, though, that you wnat a traditional skew and not the oval style. The Wolverine skew sharpening accessory is a waste of money - just use the flat grinder rest for them.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS