Why Craig's list is now useless

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
OK, search "Drill Press" 600 postings. 9 of them drill presses or parts. Reduced it to "tools" within 100 miles. Only 29 postings, same 9 actual drill presses.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Good USA-made drill presses are hard to find and when one in good running condition does pop up for sale, it will go quickly and for a premium. Very often a good drill press won't even make it to any public on-line listings other than school shop surplus on the Public Surplus site. Sellers of used industrial machinery may be a good place to look in person.
Presses with a good reputation would be a Powermatic 1150/1150A or a Delta 15-665.

81 0 - 1.jpg

The DP 220 on the left is a 14" press with a 4" throw so it isn't in the same category as the other two.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Agreed, ..........and even if it is not a variable speed, converting one variable speed with new motor and VFD is easy and does not ruin the ability to easily convert back to stock.

I was lucky to get a 70's drill and Bandsaw. Plenty good enough for my needs

Echd

C
User
Craigslist is pretty dead traffic wise compared to Facebook, it seems.

I don't do Facebook as I avoid non-anonymous social media for work reasons. That indirectly probably saves me a lot of money from impulse purchases.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Don't do Facebook. I no longer have to be anonymous ( and I was actually known due to some procurements I managed) but just won't go there. I had an account but some Chinese kid stole it to get around the "Great Firewall" I presume, and Facebook provided their usual amount of service: NONE. They actually asked for my SSN to reset the account! I think he is still using it after about 10 years as I my SPAM filter occasionally lets a Facebook notification through.

I would love an old Powermatic Reeves drive. One can put in a DVR with new motor if it was an old 3 phase industrial drill, but not seen one of those either. Of course, the price jumps quite a bit then as a motor and controller from Striatech is $800 for the 1 HP.. I could get the motor, direct drive or with multi-rib sheaves. try to shim the quill, maybe fill the post with epoxy/sand, braze on some steel bosses for relocating the crank...

If the manufactures would just get into the 20th century. Table and collar are cast iron, so casting in a box and the bosses to move the crank and lock up front would be a piece of cake. I have seen several DIY versions, but not as sturdy as they should be. Unfortunately, with the table being iron, not the best to try and weld on the bosses needed.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Here's a twenty year old price list of Delta drill presses. Drill press buyers these days know these proportions. That's why a good drill press rarely gets to the pubic on-line sites. Even the worn out junkers get snapped up by those willing to make the sacrifices necessary to restore that junker.

dp prices.jpg

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS