Why am I getting tear-out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

christopheralan

New User
Christopheralan
For the life of me I can't get shavings. I am getting small chunks or big-sawdust, and a lot of tear-out. My chisels are new and sharp. Ideas?

:dontknow:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
What tool are you using, and where. What kind of wood, in what orientation. Are the tools new, but not sharpened, the factory edge generally isn't good enough.
Are you holding your head to the left with one eye closed, and your lips slightly puckered?
We need the rest of the story, says Paul Harvey

Dave:)

christopheralan

New User
Christopheralan
I am just using some scrap 2x4 cut to 1.5 x 1.5 inches. Every lathe tool I am using is causing tear out. I am using a slow speed, 1100 rpm (I think), the tool rest is about 1/4" away from the piece, inline with the turning axis, both hands on the tool. I would stand on one foot in a tutu if it would help...:BangHead:

nelsone

New User
Ed
I would stand on one foot in a tutu if it would help...:BangHead:

You will have to post a picture of that!:rotflm:

First of all the pine 2x4 can be a problem just because of the wood. If it is balanced on the lathe, try speeding it up as much as you can. The faster speed should give you a cleaner cut. I'd also try a harder wood if you have some.

christopheralan

New User
Christopheralan
I tried some oak yesterday but still got a bunch of tear out. I will try again though. I will bump the speed back up and see what happens. :eusa_thin

PChristy

New User
Phillip
I tried some oak yesterday but still got a bunch of tear out. I will try again though. I will bump the speed back up and see what happens. :eusa_thin

Christopher, every piece of dry Oak I have turned so far I have had tear out - sharp tools-speed up the lathe didn't help me any - I have learned to take small cuts no matter what wood I am using and that seems to help me - If you have some green wood turn that to get some practice in = but then again I have seen where turning wet/dry is like night/day -

NCTurner

Gary
Corporate Member
Man you sure know how to pick, don't think you could've picked two tougher woods to turn. Try some good ole Maple or Cherry. 2x is noted as sucking to turn.:tongue2:

christopheralan

New User
Christopheralan
I just spent the last hour or so trying again. I cranked up the speed and took really light cuts and it turned out better. :icon_thum I need to get some green stuff to play with now. I noticed that I dulled one of the gouges so now I need to learn to sharpen it. :BangHead:

I don't have any cherry to play with yet. I have a unique commisson coming up where I will should have some cherry, walnut and mahogany left over (all dried). We will see what happens with those.

My parting tool doesn't seem to be cutting a whole heck of a lot at all. What angle do I hold it? Could it be really dull or am I just holding it all wrong?

Thanks for all the help guys!

:icon_thum

Dusty Sawyer

New User
David
How the tool is presented to the piece and it's sharpness can have a big effect as well. For example the roughing gouge should be on the rest with the butt-end of the gouge pointed downward and braced against your body. The top of the toolrest itself should be above the center of the workpiece If these are positioned correctly, one should be able to slowly raise the butt of the chisel slowly until the sharp edge lightly engages the wood.

A great exercise is to have someone manually turn the workpiece for you or at least start it off at an extremely low speed, then the purpose for always addressing the wood in this sequence becomes clear.

Hope that helps,

David

Makinsawdust

New User
Robert
My first thought was your tool presentation angle. Do what Dusty Sawyer said. Most of the the time you want the wood riding the chisel's bevel except for a scraper.
It also sounds like your tools are not sharp if you have not sharpened them yourself. None are sharp enough straight off the store shelf. Pine and Oak can give you hairy results, esp. with dull tools. With sharp chisels it shouldn't be anything that a little sanding can't take care of.
Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS