Who's interested in a sharpening workshop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
East of I-95.... Anybody? I'm planning on hosting a friend and new member at my shop on 12/8 so I thought maybe others down here in the flat lands might be interested.

I'd ask that anybody interested be un-educated in the art unless they contact me first.

At this point I'd like to focus on chisels and plane irons since this is my first rodeo. I'd like to do saws but that'll have to wait.

Interest? Suggestions?

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Try not to fit to much at one time into a workshop. Chisel and plane iron is a good work shop on its own. Handsaw sharpening as a workshop is a full day. So I'd set it up as a separate workshop. These are great workshops and are much needed. Good luck and have fun.

Richo B

New User
Richo
I think I would be interested but December won't work for me due to working most Saturdays of the month. I do a fair amount of sharpening and bought all the Veritas honing equipment to be sure, but wouldn't mind sitting through a class to be sure I'm doing it right.

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
Given the lack of interest I'll hold off on this for now. Perhaps I can host one after the holidays.

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
Given the lack of interest I'll hold off on this for now. Perhaps I can host one after the holidays.

Sharpening. I was just reading a Paul Sellers blog entry about sharpening and I had to wonder how it is so easy to stop thinking about the skill/process after you have gotten good at it.

Once you know what sharp feels like-- it is easier to recognize what level of "touch up" you need. You can watch videos, read books and agonize over what is the best way to get the sharpest edge but nothing is equal to getting the feel.

I remember how confused I was at a young age when the old timers in the boatyard had the killer sharp slicks and how quick they were to dismiss another guys means of achieving an edge. Some liked flat grinds and some like hollow. Very little weighed in as "both" are good. In the end I was impressed with both pathways. Today I probably do more flat grinding and honing but I like big slow turning wheels too.

I find teaching others how to sharpen less rewarding than some joinery tasks but I am quick to point out that sharpening is a "gateway" skill that must be mastered before your work can really improve. If you plan on working with hand tools, its just a must do thing.

Don't give up on your invitation to hold a sharpening class down the road. I think with the holidays and some of the site issues maybe members who would be interested in a workshop might be doing other things and missed your 2 day window??

A couple of Paul Sellers ideas on sharpening are quite different from mine but he makes some points that are important so take a look when you have a minute.

https://paulsellers.com/2018/11/cognitive-feedback/?pk_campaign=feed&pk_kwd=cognitive-feedback

Last edited:

rustisamust

New User
Joseph
I see that you're holding off for now, but I'd be interested in this when/if you reschedule. I'm not an absolute beginner but I'm probably at the point where I've acquired some bad habits a more experienced sharpener would spot instantly. I'm in Greenville, so popping down to Ayden is simple.

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Chris C:
I'm always interested in a "sharper image".

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
I'd love one in the Raleigh area as my cheap chisels have never seen a stone.

In the mean time, you might want to start reading about some different ways to get an edge on your tools. There are plenty of members in the Raleigh area that could get you going if you are serious about your chisels.

Craig Eick

Craig
Senior User
Chris
Good evening from snowy Rolesville, NC. I wanted to take a moment and thank you for your time yesterday to spend a few hours with me. The sharpening lesson on chisels was very instructinve and helpful. Hopefully i can replicate the process when it is time to sharpen them the next time.

Also, thank you for the introductory lesson into hand planes. As I mentioned when i began this journey hand tools was not something i had even thought about. As i learn more, the more i learn. Thank you for the encouragemet and education. I will let you know how my first shot at dove tails turn out.

I will be on the look out for any additional classes. I would be glad to make another road trip to Ayden.

Thanks again

Craig

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
It was my pleasure Craig. I look forward to seeing you again soon.... maybe I can show you how to sharpen that Atkins saw.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS